Core Drilling

I don't know about London bricks, but Norfolk reds are about as soft as they come.

So much so that birds peck them away to get something or other out of them :confused:

I have had many a job where I have had to say that I could not hang a boiler on the wall unless they got a bricklayer in to re-brick enough of the wall for the boiler to fix to.

Sponsored Links
Ya bunch of big jessie`s whats up with a 2lb lump hammer and chisels . Bricks kids could do them, now 12inch solid pour No-fines with tie bars thats for the men and the hammer rash only takes a week to go. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
We had a half wit apprentice who hired a diamond core bit, put it on hammer on a no-fine . It ripped every bit of the teeth right off it. When they tried to charge him for replacement he said you never told me not to use it on hammer and they accepted it

couldnt believe it, the other day workin with some of the council boys. they hit a RSJ , half of wot the flue was goin through the hole. boiler already piped in. so they spent four hours with a diamond core drill on this RSJ. they got through god knows how.Alls i had to ask was, what was it surpporting.

I've cut the corner off an RSJ with a diamond core :oops: I though it was going a bit slow!

The trouble I find with the pilot drills is that they're too short. The fist inch or so of wall is plaster and rubbish, which doesn't hold the rod at all well. (Marcrist sent Les Gradwell a longer pilot drill when he complained).

I've given up using a pilot hole, I just let the core bit spin in the palm of my hand, not at full speed, and introduce the bit to the wall bottom edge first. Once you've got a groove going it doesn't wander.

Sponsored Links
Try drilling the pilot with a cordless first to get it nice and deep and then use the core drill with the pilot in to get a start before removing pilot and drilling the core. Wish we had soft bricks by the way, in Leeds it all seems to be engineering brick with no cavity, so can take a good hour to get through both courses. Love coring breeze blocks but never get em any more. :cry:

I always use a 13mm masonary bit, long enough to go right through the wall, then I should know if there are any major obstructions.

This matches with the 13mm guide in the core bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back