Core drill for bath waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need one of these to punch a hole through an external brick/clock wall for a bath waste.
Has anyone used this or reccomend something similar?

I have a Bosch SDS drill.

Sponsored Links
To do a simple 40mm bath waste it will be more than adequate with the Bosch SDS drill you have. I have used mine for years doing 4 inch cores with ease so i would say it is all good.

I have that kit and it's been decent enough on any wall I've come across. I use it with a good core drill. Be wary with an SDS because if the bit bites and the clutch doesn't work it'll potentially damage your wrist.

I upgraded to a core drill after my SDS snapped round whilst I was up a ladder.

There are plenty of stories around of blokes breaking bones etc....

Sponsored Links
I have that kit and it's been decent enough on any wall I've come across.
Sounds like you’ve e had it a few years and done a fair few holes with that Erbauer kit?

Core drill seems a bit much when I am likely to do core drilling once a year. My SDS has a clutch I believe. Is the trick to go slow with the drill?

Need one of these to punch a hole through an external brick/clock wall for a bath waste.
Has anyone used this or reccomend something similar?

I have a Bosch SDS drill.
Yes, very good but used it with top end Makita corded drill with safety clutch, the clutch doesn't generally engage though if you take it steady.

Blup

Sounds like you’ve e had it a few years and done a fair few holes with that Erbauer kit?

Core drill seems a bit much when I am likely to do core drilling once a year. My SDS has a clutch I believe. Is the trick to go slow with the drill?
Yes I've done at least 10 holes with the kit.

Using an SDS go steady and don't force the drill, let the bit do the work. FYI my SDS has a clutch but still grabbed and snapped around.

They work fine on modern cement blocks and bricks. Very slow on older solid bricks (Victorian/Edwardian).
The last couple I've done I've started with the core drill on the visible (external usually) face, cut to 25mm or so then stitch drilled the rest of the way.

Thanks for all the responses. A couple more please:
- I have ceramic tiles on the bath wall. Do I use this core bit on that or do I need to stitch drill through the tiles first?
- Does this cause breakout when it exits the wall on the other side
- Can I use the hammer function once I am in the wall?

Thanks again

- I have ceramic tiles on the bath wall. Do I use this core bit on that or do I need to stitch drill through the tiles first?
Although, have some spare tiles to hand!
I had spent ages, making a beautiful 117mm hole in a tile for an extractor fan - it was perfect...
...drilling the last of the four small fixing holes - CRACK! :mad::ROFLMAO:

You should only get breakout from the pilot bit which won't matter as you are taking out the brick around it but good practice is to start from one side and then drill in a little from the other side if possible and it will leave a nice clean hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back