Core drilling large holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a gas heater fitted, but because the gas fitter is a family member, we are planning to keep down costs by having me prepare the flue hole myself. It requires a 230mm diameter hole in a 9" standard Victorian brick wall. I can't find a) any core drill bits that size and b) any power drills that purport to cope with holes over about 160mm. What is normally done under these circumstances?

I do have a SDS+ drill that goes through brick as if it's butter with a normal drill bit and spade cutter, so I could cut a jagged hole and make good with mortar around the flue liner. Is this ok? However I am still perplexed by not being able to at least find the proper core drilling equipment :)

Sponsored Links
Have you tried to call a few hire companies and ask them? It's always my first port of call these days for odd / one-off tools for odd / one-off jobs...

I've used National Tool Hire Shops a few times and they always seem to sort me out with whatever I need.

I've never seen one for sale though, I must admit! hmmmm :confused:

Core drilling of this size is strictly industrial and certainly not suitable for hand drill use.
I have seen a machine that would drill 250mm into solid concrete, but that had to be bolted down with its own stand....even then it was only for vertical drilling.
Your best bet is to chain drill lots of holes, and knock them out with a long cold chisel, making good after.
John :)

Sponsored Links
No wonder the place I first tried to order the heater from were very reluctant to sell to me unless I had an existing flue already! Heh well it sounds like the core drilling method for this is outside my scope, so I shall go for plan B, make the hole with my normal tools and hacking out. Thanks everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back