Core drill for 50mm waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to drill 3x holes though an old cavity wall. 2x 40mm waste pipes, 1x 50mm waste.

Wall is 1920s, soft red brick with a 10cm ish cavity.

I don't own a core drilling set or sds drill.

What would you recommend, shopping wise? Screwfix has 50mm core bits apparently usable with a normal drill, using attachments.

Or shall I just buy an SDS and keep it?

What bits/drill do you suggest, whatever choice?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You can get 50mm TCT core bits, which are designed to be used with an SDS drill, quite cheaply, but any core bit requires a lot more torque than the average DIY drills puts out - unless you have one of those 750 to 1200 watt monsters, in which case you might be OK. If not you will need to either beg, borrow, hire or buy an SDS drill. Core bits ideally need to be run at low speed, but the 750 to 900 rpm a lot of SDS drills run at should be OK with a 50mm core

If you do buy an SDS, go for one with rotation stop as that means you can use it for light chiselling, chasing and breaking work in the future. An SDS will make drilling walls and concrete floors a breeze and if you do a lot you will really appreciate the addition to your tool kit (and how fast it drills holes in masonry). I'm not a fan of those big cheap 5kg Titan (and other) SDS drills - maybe that's because I'm a wimp, maybe it's because i drill too many holes above waist height and I just find them ridiculously heavy (great if you need to take lots of stuff out at lower levels, though0

For your 50mm holes start by drilling through all the way with a long pilot bit, then drill in from either side of the wall using the core bit's pilot in the hole as a guide. This will avoid the blow-out which often occurs with a core drilled straight through from one side only. You will need to stop the drill from time to time, withdraw the bit from the wall and clear the waste (small cold chisel or plugging chisel and a hammer will help) before recommencing drilling - this is because the drill isn't deep enough to hold half the thickness of the wall

I fitted a number of kitchens this way with an SDS drill and a TCT core before buying a dry diamond core set and a dry diamond core drill. The TCT bits don't cut as fast, but they are a lot cheaper, which is especially important if you aren't doing loads of holes. I still do the odd bit of coring out for people - at £20 to £30 a hole depending on the number and size of holes, so bear that in mind (when you butter 'er indoors up to try to get the dosh for an SDS)

Last edited by a moderator:
your 50mm holes start by drilling through all the way with a long pilot bit, then drill in from either side of the wall using the core bit's pilot in the hole as a guide
Also suggest drilling so there is a slight downhill slope from inside to outside of the house so pipe will slope downwards.

This reduces chance of rainwater or drips flowing from outside, along outside of pipe, and into house.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back