Corner Beading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I’m looking to replace wooden corner beading with metal corner beading around the external corners of a chimney breast and window reveals. Advice on this forum seems to suggest its better to remove entirely and make up with bonding plaster and adding the beading. Is this correct?

Is it better to make up the corners as best as possible and then add a thin coat metal angle bead, or ‘full thickness’ (i.e. the mesh type) angle bead then bonding leaving enough thickness for a top coat? Or am I missing something?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Advice from this responder to this forum is to never replace wood corner bead with metal or plastic. Broken or missing bits of wood bead are simple to repair or replace.

FWIW: we've been paid large amounts of money to go thro a property replacing metal beads with the original wood beads.

AAMOI: typically, the term angle bead refers to masonry angles, and the term skim bead refers to plaster board angles.

Thanks for the reply, I've only used the thinner skim beads before, but that was on a boarded wall, this will be back to the original brickwork. I guess a vertical straight and true edge is more important.

I suppose with the period feature wood vs metal its a matter of personal (or the wife's! Preference).

Thanks for the info,

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back