correct boiler output

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to change my old wall mounted gas boiler, but I am not sure of what size (output) my new boiler should be in btu's --my home is a 2 bedroom semi-detatched bungalow, with 6 radiators ---3 double and three single, two of the singles are fairly small)------- standard gravity system with power shower---would I be right in saying a 30,000 btu boiler would suffice?

Sponsored Links
No you wouldn't. 30,000btu/h is just less than 9kW. That's low even for me. You need to do loss calculations to establish the size, alternatively get a boiler the same size as your present one. In the end you may have the size correct, but it seems too low.

oilman said:
No you wouldn't. 30,000btu/h is just less than 9kW. That's low even for me. You need to do loss calculations to establish the size, alternatively get a boiler the same size as your present one. In the end you may have the size correct, but it seems too low.

Thanks oilman I will check this out---my existing boiler is a myson apollo, and about 9 months ago I fitted a new thermo-couple (with an interupter) as the pilot light would not stay in, now the same thing is happening again, but to a lesser degree, the pilot keeps going for a couple of weeks then blobs off---I thought that thermo-couples would last longer than 9 months??

Overheat stat failing. Or gas valve. Have you checked the pilot flame length? Bah.

Sponsored Links
oilman said:

Have you any idea what like the glowworm micron FF series are, I like the size of this unit plus the built-in digi timer, it would look better in our small kitchen than some of the other larger ones

I havent fitted any Microns for a while, I had a run on them a few years back and found them to be ok, just a squashed up Glowworm Ultimate or TP iKon all of which I have found to be good boilers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back