Correct curtain drop for a very tall window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our stairs has a feature window which offers a lovely view (not that you can tell from my crap photos) but currently the curtains just don't seem right. For one thing they're too narrow to open properly, but mainly the fact they 'puddle' on the floor.

I can't decide if they should be shortened just to brush the carpet, or should stop just above the radiator so it can actually do something productive.

Is there a 'right' answer?

IMG_20171110_104411.jpg
IMG_20171110_104446.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can just see in the first photo, another window to the right at a slightly different level... a regular 2x2 sash on the landing. This has curtains to sill level but the sill is not the same height as the big one...

presumably you do draw them?
if it was me, I would shorten them to allow radiator heat out when drawn

Now it's winter yes... you get a draft coming right down the stairs otherwise! But the top won't open and blocks the view so I'm considering replacing them entirely and deciding what drop to have.

Would you say drop to rest on the sill, or overlapping the sill, or below the sill nearer the top of the radiator? I can't picture it in my mind.

Sponsored Links
I'd probably get rid of them if you're not overlooked!

I'd probably get rid of them if you're not overlooked!
Visually - yes that would be nice. But an 8 foot high single-glazed draughty sash window is murder on heating ;)
And it is a bit stark when dark having that huge black space there.

Maybe space for some nice shutters?

What that be fitting for the period? I assume you mean each shutter would be hinged?

I was told by a draper who made curtains that the lenght shall be - Curtain lenght 1/4inch off the Sill or Floor.
As the picture shows a Radiator below the window then the curtains should stop at the Sill.

But the top won't open and blocks the view so I'm considering replacing them entirely and deciding what drop to have.

Is that because they are so long that that you can't pull the lower parts back far enough to encourage the top of the curtains to more? If yes, a long pole with a hook might help to move the curtain loops in the meantime. However, you face the same problem with any curtains on a pole. You might benefit from curtains with pull cords.

The cheapest option might be to force the top of the curtains apart to allow more light in, and then fit translucent blinds. The curtains will then become dress curtains.

How about fixing the curtains so they're more open and just for show, and then have a discreet roller blind?

Years ago, you'd have tucked them down behind the radiator, but current thinking seems to be leave them sitting on the window cill, and that allows airflow up behind the radiator. The curtains should be set wider than they are so that they are hooked back further apart; and this would mean that start nearer the walls than the the window itself. The current setup blocks the light from the window, and makes the setup unbalanced and dark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back