Safety Help - High Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have just moved into a rented house, and the windows are quite low. To top that off, there is a radiator below the window which is perfect height for climbing on. We have a little girl, and I want to make this safe.

Photo attached

Can anyone suggest an adjustable product, which I could fit on the outside of the window between the bricked frames that would make this safe? I was thinking something like a childrens stair gate which has adjustable arms which would jam the gate in. Although this would suffice, I would rather something not so tall. I would be able to screw into the brick to the left and the right, but would really prefer not to do that.

Any help would be great!!!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
To be honest, the stair thing jammed in between the brickwork may be the only option.

How often do you have the windows open like that? If not at all how about a simple door chain fitted to the inside so they will open a bit and then you can un hook it to get it all the way open when its safe to do so.

If you study the pic you'll find they are actually inward opening french doors lol!

On a day like today its nice to fully open them but then you have the safety issue, looks like you need a decorative wrought iron barrier making specially.

you mean like the one already in place? :rolleyes:

a sheet of 12mm perspex cut to fit the gap and screwed to the existing guard rail, and fixed in place at the bottom with 2-3 angle brackets ( or into a u channel if you prefer ) and you're golden..

Sponsored Links
you mean like the one already in place? :rolleyes:

a sheet of 12mm perspex cut to fit the gap and screwed to the existing guard rail, and fixed in place at the bottom with 2-3 angle brackets ( or into a u channel if you prefer ) and you're golden..
ColJack there's a massive gap between that dubious looking existing handrail and the cill! :rolleyes:

Should've gone to Specsavers!

I was refering to the "decorative wrought iron barrier" that was suggested, and offered an alternative using the existing one for part of the solution, while maintaining visibility for the kid to look out of..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back