Replacing window in single brick wall - Help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Taken from my project thread (Here) which sadly has not received many replies since my last post I thought I'd ask in here.

I am looking to replace a horrid old window in my downstairs toilet which is in an old outhouse style building which is made with a single brick wall (single as in literally only a single brick thick!).

At present the window goes all the way up to the (concrete) ceiling, however I would like to lower the ceiling just a little in order to hide the wiring for the light and the extractor fan I intend to install and also to allow for a little insulation too. It would probably only need to move a brick or two downwards.

The current window is approx 48cm x 60cm and Id quite like to keep it a similar size though would be prepared for it to be a bit shorter if needed.

You an just about make out the fact the window meets the roof of the out house in this pic

20130407_185208_zps390f0cae.jpg

And this shows it a little more clearly.

20130407_185219_zpsb6c87582.jpg

I thought I had taken a pic to show that just below the white sill of the windo in the first pic, there is an old sort of tile sill which would need to be removed if the window were to be lowered.

Can anyone give me any pointers how I would go about changing this window?

I'm guess, just take it out (sounds easy...) and cut away any brick that I need to at the bottom for the new window to fit. I'm guessing I would use a concrete lintel above the new window and then fill any remaining gap with bricks (which would probably only be a single row anyway?

Sponsored Links
How much do you want to lower the ceiling by? If 30-60mm just order the window with add ons on the top no brick removal

It probably would be about 60mm, just enough to stick some insulation in and board it.

Would I need a lintil over the new window?

No, measure and order the window same size as the other one but tell the supplier it includes 2x 30mm add ons to the head. Where are you shepway,maidstone?

Sponsored Links
Ask for a deep head on the top of he window, add a 50mm add on to it you should have plenty of room. Will look bulky from the outside though. No brickwork removal involved this way

Wont really see the bulk as the felt looks like it hangs down a fair bit

Cool, that sounds fairly simple and less work than I thought.

Yeah, I'm in shepway, how did you know?

I come from maidstone and replaced one of these a few months back

Friend of a friend fitted £100
Give you a clue G&G

That's not too bad, would save me some work...:)

Yeah, I saw g&g on your profile yesterday. :). I will give them a call.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back