What are these window sills made from and can I remove/replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're thinking about having our windows replaced in the next year, and mentioned the sills we have look dated and if the local window company would be able to sort and the chap suggested it's not something they would do and it needs a builder. I'm assuming that he means the tiles (if that's what they are?) would need removing and a brick layer or larger window would be placed in the opening? Assume the former as I'm guessing this sill is on the outer layer only and so needs to be another course of bricks?

Any advice appreciated, all the windows are this same style. I guess the second question is how on earth do I sort this if it needs to be done before a new window can be fitted, i.e builder in at the same time as window fitters etc. or can this be done prior somehow?

1675185929370.png

Sponsored Links
Its just three tiles on top of each other, get quotes from more window companies, it’s a fairly simple job to remove them so I think the one you have just can‘t be ar*sed.

It needs the tiles carefully removed then a run of matching bricks to be built to make the opening right, but that brick on the left would need cutting in and you'd need to be sure you could find a decent matching brick, could look like a dogs dinner if not done well.

Alternatively it might be possible to cut the inner skin down to match.

I wouldn't expect a window fitter to do either of those.

Personally I'd stick with the tiled cills, gives it a bit of character rather than every other house with generic white cills.

Sponsored Links
If it worried you then when the window was replaced you could get a builder and window firm (or a small independent window guy who was willing) to cooperate together.
There is no benefit and as said adds a bit of character.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back