Removing upvc sill from new window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I'm trying to find a window in a hurry in the midst of a national shortage and can see this is in stock in my lock selco, however it has a sill which I'm not meant to have. Does anyone know if these sills are glued/moulded to the frames and hard to remove without damage or can they be easily removed somehow?

https://www.selcobw.com/products/do...upvc-window-1770x1190-3p-clear-glazed-a-rated

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi all - I'm trying to find a window in a hurry in the midst of a national shortage and can see this is in stock in my lock selco, however it has a sill which I'm not meant to have. Does anyone know if these sills are glued/moulded to the frames and hard to remove without damage or can they be easily removed somehow?

https://www.selcobw.com/products/do...upvc-window-1770x1190-3p-clear-glazed-a-rated

Many thanks!
Upvc cills are supplied loose

bear in mind they usually are 30mm high -so that window will be 30 shorter without it

Also if you have no cill, you are probably sitting on tiles or concrete cill and in which case you prob need face drainage -which I image you can drill yourself, but Im not that knowledgeable on upvc so not sure on that one

Thanks for the reply I never even knew that was a thing; where is this water coming from?

It's advertised as 1200mm tall so without the cill will be 1170mm so something to bare in mind. Also because it comes with a cill means it will be 'concealed drainage', absolutely do not fit a window without a cill if it has concealed drainage, if you want a window with no cill then it needs to be 'face drained'.

You can however seal the concealed drainage up with a good quality silicone and then drill holes in the face of the window to make it face drained

Sponsored Links
It's advertised as 1200mm tall so without the cill will be 1170mm so something to bare in mind. Also because it comes with a cill means it will be 'concealed drainage', absolutely do not fit a window without a cill if it has concealed drainage, if you want a window with no cill then it needs to be 'face drained'.

You can however seal the concealed drainage up with a good quality silicone and then drill holes in the face of the window to make it face drained

Thanks. Out of curiosity where is this water coming from?

The sky, it's rain water that seeps by the gaskets mainly the corners where the rubber doesn't fuse together as well as the pvc section when it's welded together, we're not talking cup fulls of water not even egg cup but small amounts that if not drained away will build up and cause issues like blowing the double glazed unit and even breach the glazing channel and start seeping out through the beads

Ah gotcha so it just sits in that bottom channel. Makes perfect sense, just something you never think about till it causes an issue. Many thanks!

If you are going to remove the cill you will need to face drain the frame. You can do this by sealing the holes on the bottom of the frame, drill some holes in the front of the frame, and glue on some drainage pips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back