Replace window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all help please,
I'm going to attempt to replace an old wooden window, I've measured outside from brick to brick across top middle and bottom and from the lintel to the bottom of the sill, I've been told to take the shortest of each of those measurements and then deduct 10 mm, is all of that correct please? I'm a little unsure about the sill on the the new window, I've taken a couple of pics to show what I'm replacing, any advice greatly received IMG_20211002_141228.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm only a DIY'er, so feel free to ignore! :)

From what I have seen elsewhere, I believe the measurement guidance you have received should be fine.

I don't know why you are worrying about the sill though?
It looks like your window was external, but the space is now enclosed?
The sill isn't very important any more!

Would taking the window out before having a replacement be feasible?

If it were me, I would take the window out.
If the sill sits within the brickwork at the edges, this would need repairing when the sill came out, but that's not a big job.
I would then look at whether a new sill was required to block the cavity (probably only needed on the inside, as the window sits almost flush to this wall) and take a proper set of measurements for the new window.

I hope that makes sense!

Are you measuiring the concrete cill as well? ( I can't see clearly whether there is a wooden cill sat on the concrete cill ). If you have included the concrete cill...dismiss that measurement! If you need a plastic cill I would recommend a 95mm ( stubb ) cill. I'd just check the measurements on the inside too...you don't want the window falling through....

Sponsored Links
Are you measuiring the concrete cill as well? ( I can't see clearly whether there is a wooden cill sat on the concrete cill ). If you have included the concrete cill...dismiss that measurement! If you need a plastic cill I would recommend a 95mm ( stubb ) cill. I'd just check the measurements on the inside too...you don't want the window falling through....

I'm sorry. I went with the assumption that it was decided that the existing sill was being removed.
I should never assume! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back