Major Problem with delivered windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my windows are dur to be sat on a concrete lintel at the botom of the window, however, the windows I have recieved have a normal sill on them with "catch" on the concrete lintel and do not sit right. Is there any thing I can do about this. are you suppossed to use a certain type of sill for bottom lintels or do I just remove the sills and replace them with 35mm frame extenders? Any help will be appreciated as this is urgent, thnkas

I will upload a photo asap, thanks

the pics is here, thanks

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ns8bp0&s=5

Sponsored Links
I would put a add on on the head but you will have to get some face drain caps because the drainage will nee to be redone to face drain

I would put a add on on the head but you will have to get some face drain caps because the drainage will nee to be redone to face drain

But that would mean the whole frame itself is sat on the sandstone cill and a lot if not all of it will be lost behind the internal window board, in theory the 35mm add on should be at the bottom in place of the cill but you'd have to silicone the concealed drainage holes up under the frame and drill new ones throught the face as you say and fit drain caps.

In any case the cill that has been supplied is wrong (for a sandstone cill) it should of been an 85mm stub cill, a mistake somewhere i guess, i'd get them swapped and use a cill instead of an add on

hmm, about 80 90mm stub sounds about right, other than that, I was thinking of replacing the sills so they extend along the sandstone cill, however this requires a lot of fitting work, also, I considered cutting the sandstone cill with a stone cutter, but this will leave the far edges in a bad way (will not look right) so I think the best solution is replacing the PVC sill for a 85mm stub as suggested. any ideas on where to buy these?

Sponsored Links
First i'd find out who's mistake it was, if not yours then i'd want the 150mm ones swapping for stubs FOC

If you did have to buy them then just google 85mm pvc stub cill, as we don't know your exact location its hard to point you in any one direction

There really should be no cill as there is a concrete one. Stuc cill will look better than 150 but no cill would look better than stub

hmm, thanks for the replies here, you ahve all been helpful!!!

I am in Newcastle upon Tyne, dont worry I didnt steel the windows :)
however, I need about 15m of the stub cill I think.
I would maybe have gone with the no cill but that option has gone out the window this time round....

ok, I had an estimate given by my suppler, yet I actually provided the final measurements - all the windows fit perfectly apart from the incorrect sills.

I didnt write on the measurements that these were to any lintels, I just placed - "dimensions to brick" - however the bay window doesnt have a sandstone sill and all the rest do.

The person who gave the estimate was the owner to the company so they would have known full well that the sandstone lintel was there.

they also put the wrong sill on the front door.

to me, they should not have put a cill on the botton at all without clarfying it with me first, so I say the responsiblity lies on them?

I know the first thing he's gonna say when I ring him.... "It doesnt say that on the measurements!".

can I ask your advice on this? -your help is really appreciated!!!

steve771 said:
to me, they should not have put a cill on the botton at all without clarfying it with me first, so I say the responsiblity lies on them?
In my dealings with uPVC window manufacturers it has always been assumed that cills will be included unless specified not to. You may find your supplier will claim the same, so they have subtracted the height of the plastic cills from the measurements given when creating the window frame.

If that was not explained to you or stated on any of the documents you saw prior to the supply then you should have a case to request either replacements or more likely get them to supply stub cills or frame extenders. As mentioned by others if the latter be sure to seal the drain holes in the base of the frames and drill new ones in the face.

Never put the full plastic cills on top of stone/tiled cills - even if you can seal them properly they will look crap.

Ok, cool ,I replaced the cills today with the 85mm ones, I wasnt charged, but I agreed to pick them up myself, some good news!!!

However, my next problem... any idea on how to get the glass "plastic clips" back into the windoe frame? mine are stiff as hell!!!

the beads or beading which holds the window panes into the frames :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back