Major leak inside new window

If its not been cured then chop out the sand/cement he's put in, foam the void and while its still setting ledge some tiles on top of the frame but make sure they tip forward, once the foam has set and is holding the tiles then cap off with fresh render to match the other window which still has the tiled head.

Shocking workmanship for a builder but he's closer to a builder than a window fitter thats for sure. Is he supplying the fensa/certass cert or has he left it to you to get BC to cert it? Ask him about the insurance backed guarantee as well!

He isn't FENSA registered, so I guess I'm stuck. Threatened him with trading standards today but he wasn't interested. After presenting him with some of the information I've got here and from speaking to other fitters he simply said they're all lying to me and he's always fitted windows that way etc...

I don't want him coming back to do the repairs, I'll do that myself but would I somehow be able to bill him for my time spent fixing his mess ?

s60sy - The frames he replaced were around 15-20years old I'd guess and they were a bit thinner. He also got the job because he was the cheapest. I've learned the hard way about bad tradesmen getting stuck in a race to the bottom in terms of price and quality.

Hey ho, life is one big learning curve. Won't make the same mistake again.

Sponsored Links
Typical finish from a builder!! They can get away with plonking a window into new build, installing a replacement and having to finish the window off neatly always seems fail them (not all builders).

Built and fitted a custom made head drip today and put a slope on top of it, it will do until the rendering is done.

The top of the frame was held in with just expanding foam, no fixings. Proper bodge job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back