Installing brick in window opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The 1950 brick cape cod I bought has a window above the kitchen sink. The previous owners retro-fitted this window with a smaller window than what was original (same width, just shorter window in length). Instead of laying new brick up to the new window, they attached a piece of plywood and then vinyl siding over that! Needless to say, it's terribly inefficient when it comes to heating and cooling. Because I am going to gut the kitchen to the foundation walls (removing all plaster) I will have access to the window opening from the inside out and want to use this opportunity to properly fix the opening. I want to keep the window over the sink. However, I have never worked with brick or any masonry so I'm in desperate need of advice and guidance. I have attached pictures of what my foundation looks like from the inside. I'm assuming I'll need to lay new concrete block on the inside of the opening and then the new brick on the outside. The existing exterior concrete sill is cracked right down the middle and I don't think is salvageable. So I'm willing to to just lay new brick right over the broken sill if that's easier than trying to remove it. It might not be the most aesthetically pleasing option, but due to my lack of experience I want to take the path of least resistance! Also, my brick has ridges on the face - does anyone know what style of brick this is?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back