Replacing windows in high rise flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace windows in a 9th and 10th floor maisonette. I've contacted two installers, one said they couldn't do it as they didn't have the required safety equipment for operating at height, and the other said it would need scaffolding.

I've had windows replaced in another property which was 3rd floor, and no scaffolding was used - they replaced them from the inside.

Is scaffolding required above a certain height, or does it come down to the preference of the installer?

Sponsored Links
Usually the replacement of external elements of the building would be down to the freeholder/management company.
Have you checked your lease to see what you are allowed to change?

Sponsored Links
Are the windows going to be the same design as the old ones, any spandrel panels used anywhere, if not then PP may be required. I guess high rise flats could put companies off, scaffolding bumping the costs up beyond your budget or companies not wanting to fit from inside and dangle windows out 10 floors up, having to use a 'man safe' or harness which you need training for, then the logistics of getting the frames up there

And not forgetting the whole Grenfell thing, it could just put companies off

Are the windows going to be the same design as the old ones, any spandrel panels used anywhere, if not then PP may be required. I guess high rise flats could put companies off, scaffolding bumping the costs up beyond your budget or companies not wanting to fit from inside and dangle windows out 10 floors up, having to use a 'man safe' or harness which you need training for, then the logistics of getting the frames up there

And not forgetting the whole Grenfell thing, it could just put companies off
It would be a like for like replacement yes, but I don't know what a spandrel panel is so can't answer that.

I'm starting to get the feeling the job is a bit of a non-starter though, for the reasons you suggest.

Complete waste of time. Most of the new builds I've seen get the floors finished after the windows have been installed, so the mess created would be massive. On top of that, is the lift actually large enough to transport the replacement/old unit to/from the apartment. Finally, what about health and safety? There is not only a need to work from the inside harnessed up, but on the outside of the building there is a legal requirement to provide an adequate exclusion zone or some form of safety net to ensure that pedestrians, etc cannot be struck by falling debris, etc. That alone would be a nightmare, let alone expensive. 10 storey scaffolding? They are having a laugh

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back