When Scaffold is required in terms of regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to install bigger Velux windows and one additional in my loft (4th floor). I think I got really bad architect because he is not sure about anything however that is another matter; probably I will get another one.
Anyway I wonder when regulations required scaffold to be erected during Velux windows replacement i.e. which floor, type of roof, or its up to roofer to decide if he would prefer scaffold or harness instead. I know those type of windows can be installed from inside.
Just trying to avoid scaffold because it will be very expensive to erect it in my circumstances.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
All the work is normally done from the inside.

If the installer wants to do it from the outside, then [English/Welsh/ NI] H&S regs would require a bona fide company to carry out this work safely, which would imply use of a scaffold working platform at eaves hieght, and handrails up the roof as appropriate.

There is also the issue of things falling, and protection for those below - so a harness, (in addition to being impractical for this type of work) would not be suitable for this.

It is up to the company to chose the safe installation method, not the client

All the work is normally done from the inside.

If the installer wants to do it from the outside, then [English/Welsh/ NI] H&S regs would require a bona fide company to carry out this work safely, which would imply use of a scaffold working platform at eaves hieght, and handrails up the roof as appropriate.

There is also the issue of things falling, and protection for those below - so a harness, (in addition to being impractical for this type of work) would not be suitable for this.

It is up to the company to chose the safe installation method, not the client

First of all let me thank you all for quick answer.

So basically its up to installer? So there is no regulations to stop him to do that from inside?
I live in Scotland if that matter in this instance. You have mention [English/Welsh/ NI]; is Scotland got different regulation regarding this subject?

Regarding an issue or things falling I could always barrier off below.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
And if it needs a scaffold, then unless it's a basic scaffold under the terms of TG20:08, it must be designed by a competent person, which rules Woody out then arf arf :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back