Work at height regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was not sure which forum to post this in. I've been asked to replace the lamps in some lights in a church. These are attached to wooden beams that are 6.6m above the floor.
I was going to simply use an extension ladder leaning against the beam but I have been told that working over 6.0m requires scaffolding.
Does anyone know if there is such a regulation. I've trawled through all sorts of government web sites and can't be sure.
It would be easy to erect a scaffolding tower but not as quick as using a ladder.

Sponsored Links
What do your RAMS (risk assessment and method statement) say? As far as I am aware there are no specific regs other than a requirement to assess and choose the safest available method. Most contractors and larger customers just won't let you take such risks these days - it's an insurance thing as much as anything - but ladders are very often involved in site accidents, especially involving folk who haven't had ladder training (yes, there really is such a thing). From a personal point of view I wouldn't work at that height when I could do the job much more safely off a scaffolding tower - but that's how I chose to work....

I see you're retired and I'm wondering if they've asked someone to volunteer to do this work for free ? Seems to happen a lot. I know for sure I wouldn't do it.

Sponsored Links
I see you're retired and I'm wondering if they've asked someone to volunteer to do this work for free ? Seems to happen a lot. I know for sure I wouldn't do it.
Yes I am doing it free. I seem to do a lot around the building for free. I have found that I am insured up to 6m above ground level if I am using scaffolding. I plan to price a decent tower and get the church to purchase one.

Yes I am doing it free. I seem to do a lot around the building for free. I have found that I am insured up to 6m above ground level if I am using scaffolding. I plan to price a decent tower and get the church to purchase one.
I think that's the best plan. I've done all sorts of stupid things when I was younger, when there was no real Health and Safety, but there is no way I'd do anything like it now. If they want the lights changing they can get the proper access gear. I wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

You don't need a scaffold, and that's typical of many people's misinterpretation of the regulations. There is no height criteria where a scaffold is needed.

The regulations are simple in that you assess risks and use something that is appropriate for the risk and the job.

Changing just the bulbs, which could be a 30 second job with one hand and one hand on the ladder might be a low risk suitable for ladder use.

However if you need to unscrew fittings with two hands and hold heavy shades or covers, then it might not be something that you could not do off a ladder.

Just make a sensible assessment of the job and how it can be done.

Obviously, securing and using a ladder must be possible and part of the assessment of the risk.

Btw, most injuries from falls from height occur from working at less than 2m.

Last edited:
What do you mean about being insured up to 6m? . In my experience of church accident/insurance claims the church ignores all H&S requirements, relies upon the goodwill of the volunteer and when there is an accident they fight to avoid paying compensation. Most churches have loads of money, let them get trained professionals in.

What do you mean about being insured up to 6m? . In my experience of church accident/insurance claims the church ignores all H&S requirements, relies upon the goodwill of the volunteer and when there is an accident they fight to avoid paying compensation. Most churches have loads of money, let them get trained professionals in.
I agree.
I'd hate to have to go to court to argue what height I was working at when working on something at 6.6m, when my insurance only covered me to 6m.

You're going to sustain serious damage from a fall 2metres or higher. The insurance people can't fix you whether it's 6.0m or 6.6m

Nozzle

is it the platform height or the object???

it will be a 5m platform height and 5m where you stand :sick:

Last edited:
I asked the insurance company and they stated that they will pay out if the scaffolding platform is at 6m or less. Any higher and they will not pay for personal accident. To quote "There is a height restriction under the Personal Accident section of the policy that the maximum height is 6 metres from ground level."
I do follow H&S if anyone else is working on the ladders etc. I've worked at stupid heights and assess each risk and know that if I fall it is my own stupid fault. There is a difference in me working with loads of experience to others who are not as experienced but I also realise that at 69 I am not as quick or strong as I used to be so I need to take more care.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back