Putting up a big ladder by yourself

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I rarely use my big 3-section extension ladder as I prefer to get someone in to do most of the work that high up, but I have my house scaffolded right now. It's a heavy old thing and I can't simply 'walk' it up the side of the house with the gaps between rises.
I'm very wary of dropping the thing if it gets out of balance - I'm sure it's about technique not brute strength so if you need to get your ladder to a scaffold rise 15+ feet up, what's the trick to do it in a controlled way?

Sponsored Links
obvious thing is
If the house is scaffolded. why the ladder?
Can't you use the staff and a rope to pull it vertical?
Have you tried using a pole to push it up?

obvious thing is
If the house is scaffolded. why the ladder?
Can't you use the staff and a rope to pull it vertical?
Have you tried using a pole to push it up?
I hadn't thought about using a rope, that could work though I've seen anyone use that method. Not sure how else I would get onto the scaffold without a ladder though?

I hadn't thought about using a rope, that could work though I've seen anyone use that method. Not sure how else I would get onto the scaffold without a ladder though?
Scaffold is usually installed with a ladder?

Sponsored Links
I actually swallowed my pride and just asked the house-painter yesterday. Turns out it was really what I had tried to do - get it vertical and extend it while keeping it steady then lean on the scaffold. Just practice that he finds it easy and I end up with it wobbling around feeling worried...

there are videos on youtube on how to raise a ladder alone.

Throw the rope over a bit of the scaffold. Might take a few tries. Or put the rope over the ladder itself like you see here:

My dad used to put up a long ladder by 'bouncing' it against the wall while pushing up, until you can advance it one more rung while it's mid-bounce. Rince and repeat. I had to do it once, gave me the willies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back