Tripod ladders

I've trimmed some very large bushes and smaller hedges from the ground including one laurel into a pleasant ball shape probably 3-4m tall.
If you have to be the same height as the top, doesn't that negate the point of a long reach trimmer and the fact the head rotates? The Stihl I've got has a trimmer about 600mm and over 90 degrees rotation

Not being awkward, just unsure why it wouldn't be possible? Sure it's not going to be a perfect job :)

Sponsored Links
I've trimmed some very large bushes and smaller hedges from the ground including one laurel into a pleasant ball shape probably 3-4m tall.
If you have to be the same height as the top, doesn't that negate the point of a long reach trimmer and the fact the head rotates? The Stihl I've got has a trimmer about 600mm and over 90 degrees rotation

Not being awkward, just unsure why it wouldn't be possible? Sure it's not going to be a perfect job :)
If the top of the hedge or bush is flat, wider than twice the length of the length of the blade, assuming access from both sides, and as high or higher than the length of the shaft then its virtually impossible to cut all the way across from the ground.
I mostly advise shaping a hedge with an angled top so it can be cut from the ground or low platform / tressel .Once shaped one is only cutting softer growth so take less effort especially as it may be possible get away with a lighter rechargable cutter.

Yeah that makes sense. Looking at the hedge it has grown maybe as much as 2m since it was reduced a couple of years back - Leylandii in good soil with a lot of sun!!
So I think once that's sorted I should then just about be able to do it myself after. The top might not be the prettiest sort of 'wedge cut' but I'm not looking to end up with a perfect square show hedge anyway ;)
I might get my ladder, see how high I can reach in one spot and use that as a marker for the tree guy to clean the top properly first - some growth might be a bit thick for my trimmer and I might even want it reducing a little more down the trunks than previous so it can grow back higher than that to the desired height and be managed.

If your using a ladder, try a plank tied at right angles across the top so it stands off and makes it more stable. A short length of old ladder or one side of a steps is nice and light

Sponsored Links
So it turned up and I have it a whirl. First impressions, it's really sturdy, no sideways wobble at all. It's still quite scary though, I really had to screw up my nerves to get into the top step and let go of the hand rail... My legs were far more wobbly than the ladder! Just not used to it so I'm going to practice on it just to get comfortable.

Photo for scale, and from the top to show how high up it is!

henchman tripod ladder.jpg

IMG-20211023-WA0003.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back