Tripod ladders

Climbing up the inside of the trees and working your way along with a pruning chainsaw or cordless hedge cutter is probably as safe as the alternatives.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Climbing up the inside of the trees and working your way along with a pruning chainsaw or cordless hedge cutter is probably as safe as the alternatives.

Blup
I have wondered about that... The kids climb them quite easily!

30 years ago I decided a massive willow we had in the garden, one of two - had to go. So I set about it with a friend who had a chainsaw, initially cutting limbs off until just the main trunk was left. It can be quite scary when you are up a tree, cutting limbs off and the tree suddenly springs up as the weight of a limb comes off.

Cutting the main trunk at the base and inexperienced - it began leaning towards my garage, so I ended up propping it with a double extension ladder, to try to persuade it to fall the other way, where there was open ground. It did eventually fall the way I wanted, but it was a close thing. The stump of that tree is still there, I built a mock wishing well to hide it, it was so big. I ended up paying a local tree surgeon to cut the remnants up and remove them.

The second one, much smaller - about 18" diameter and much nearer the back of my garage, I cut down 10 years later. That one I managed to get the stump of mostly out of the ground, but it left a large hole to be filled. Every few years I need to top the hole up, as it sinks down a little more and the tractor finds it cutting the grass.

30 years ago I decided a massive willow we had in the garden, one of two - had to go. So I set about it with a friend who had a chainsaw, initially cutting limbs off until just the main trunk was left. It can be quite scary when you are up a tree, cutting limbs off and the tree suddenly springs up as the weight of a limb comes off.
You're braver than me!

Sponsored Links
Just realised that on the Henchman website they seem to show photos of each size ladder not just generic ones, which is quite helpful.

This is essentially the sort of thing I want to do - very long ladder plus long-reach tool:
aio480_-_steep_slope_-_in_use_-_long_reach_-_iford.jpg

Just realised that on the Henchman website they seem to show photos of each size ladder not just generic ones, which is quite helpful.

This is essentially the sort of thing I want to do

With a bit of sloping ground just to add to the excitement! There is no way that I would get on that thing. You are much braver than me.

With a bit of sloping ground just to add to the excitement! There is no way that I would get on that thing. You are much braver than me.
I've seen people on them albeit smaller ones, on ground much steeper than that and it was rock steady. Tripods are inherently stable.
I've got a feeling these are some thousand-year-old invention from Japan, so somewhat proven :)

What about hiring a cherry picker?
Expensive and access issues. And I'm not sure if people locally will hire to Joe Public without an operator. It'd probably cost less to get an arborist in.

It would be fun though :)

Interesting - I'd feel far more nervous going up the big 3-section house ladder than one of these.

I've got 2.4m and 3.6m tripod ladders (not henchman but similar), the 3.6m is quite a size to handle (width).
Looking at the specs, a 4.8m tripod takes up a footprint of 2.7mx1.8m and that is with the legs retracted!
You're not going to be able to properly cut your hedge with it as you won't be able to do the top.

I've also got a small trailer mounted cherry picker but it's a right faff to set up, ladders quicker most of the time.

I've got 2.4m and 3.6m tripod ladders (not henchman but similar), the 3.6m is quite a size to handle (width).
Looking at the specs, a 4.8m tripod takes up a footprint of 2.7mx1.8m and that is with the legs retracted!
I hadn't really pictured it but yeah they are pretty wide I suppose they have to be for stability.

You're not going to be able to properly cut your hedge with it as you won't be able to do the top.
Could you clarify what the problem is please?

Thanks for the first-hand report it's really useful - to address concerns from others what is the stability like especially working with something like a polesaw?

To cut the vertical growth on the top of a 10m high hedge, you need to be 10m up in the air and cutting horizontally with a polesaw.

The stability of the ladder is fine - assuming the ground doesn't give way under the feet. I happily use long reach tools up there, but it does increase the risk of you over balancing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back