Looking for a ladder that might not exist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to work on the gable end of my house - repointing a bit and then painting, but there is a single storey extension below it with a sloping slate roof. If I could stand at the top of the roof I could reach most of the bits I need to.

So I've been looking for some sort of folding ladder arrangement that will take me up from the ground and across to a platform that I can work from.
The vertical height at the front of the extension is hardley anything, just 1.85m but the diagonal reach to the back of the roof is 2.7m.

I have found conservatory ladders that have this sort of hinged arrangement, but the reach to the back of the roof is not long enough. Also, I'd prefer a ladder that gave me a horizontal platform at the wall rather than a sloping one.

I realise that I could get scaffolding up, but I have another similar problem on the other side of the house and don't really want the expense of scaffolding.

Does such a ladder system exist or perhaps there's another way? All help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
The hinged type ladder you refer to simply allow a stand off from the wall you can not use the horizontal bit as a working platform.

You could use a ladder either side with ladder cripples on it. use google images to see what they are if you haven't heard of them. You can often hire them with a rigid platform to go between and easier to put up than scaffold

You could use a ladder either side with ladder cripples on it. use google images to see what they are if you haven't heard of them. You can often hire them with a rigid platform to go between and easier to put up than scaffold
Can you still hire them? We used to use them for putting-up lit sign boxes, but last time I asked about hiring them I was told all they were willing to hire was two small towers and a some Youngerman boards

Sponsored Links
Oh maybe your right actually i haven't tried and come to think of it i can understand why they wouldn't

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back