Best way to position large ladder 10m?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old house two storey with steep pitched roof and I bought a couple of ladders and safety equipment so I have the ability to get anywhere I needed.

The longest ladder is 11m. I have been using the single 5.5m section which is great and very strong as its an industrial spec from Midland Ladders, no bounce etc.

The other night I wanted to go to inspect the chimney at the gable end which is the highest point. With both sections together I should be able to reach the top about 8.5m.

But standing on the ground I can only extend it so far. So I have to extend it sideways on the ground then try and raise the thing which is extremly difficult.

Is there a nack to doing this?

I have thought about getting wheels for the top so I can roll it up but I would still have to set the height first as obviously you can't extend a ladder while your on it. This means trying to lift a ladder at 10-11m long its impossible on your own?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you are on your own, extend the ladder as far as you can, then lift the bottom and walk backwards - keeping the top end against the gable wall.
You should then be able to walk the ladder top up to near the chimney.
If you have a helper, they stand on the wall side of the ladder holding it near vertical whilst a willing partner shins up......used to scare me daft doing that!
John :)

I thought most ladders of that sort of length were rope operated.

If yours isn't, maybe it can be fitted with a rope and pulley kit to raise it.

Sponsored Links
5.5 metre ladders are not general purpose ladders, I struggle with ladders that size, and yes you do have to be on the ladder if you want to go to maximum height. Listen to Joe get some triples.

If you can rest the ladder on the gutter, you can then [carefully] go up and extend it. But then you need to move it :eek:

We used to do this with one of us holding the ladder while one went up and extended it

How many people just randomly decide to go and inspect their chimneys though. lol :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back