Extension Ladder Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a tall house which means that, to do some things, I need an extension ladder with a maximum extended length of a bit over 10m. I have traditionally borrowed a neighbour’s 3 x 14 rung 3-section extension ladder, which has a maximum length (with 3 rung overlaps) of about 10.3 metres, but he has now moved away, so that I am faced with buying one for myself.

Looking around, many sources seem to offer very similar sounding 3 x 14 rung ladders with extended lengths of 10.2 - 10.7 metres, at fairly similar prices - to name but three, Screwfix, Wickes and B&Q:

Screwfix - click here

Wickes - click here

B&Q - click here

I wonder if there is anything to choose and/or if there are any makes/retailers I should be specifically looking at (or specifically avoiding). They are all similar in weight, so I doubt that there is much difference in “bendiness” etc., but who knows?! These big ladders are not often available to inspect in-store and, even if they were, just looking would not help much - I would need to fully extend it and climb up it to determine what it felt like!

Any advice would therefore be much appreciated.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I've had lots of good experience with zarges ladders but they're expensive. I find cheaper ladders tend to be a lot less rigid if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
so I doubt that there is much difference in “bendiness” etc., but who knows?!

There really is a difference with the cheap DIY Class 3 ones, they are very bouncy, because they are allowed to use a less number of rungs overlap when fully extended, so they flex more.

Just checked, all 3 you link to are EN131 (which is the newer name for class 2) so they'll be fine. The top class 1 ladders will be much heavier and more expensive, so you don't want a class 1 for home use.

Avoid any with square or round rungs, they are uncomfortable to work on and don't give you much faith in them, especially at the heights you need! You want 'D rungs'

The three brands you list there are all very good and will pretty much be identical. Another good brand is TB Davies, which are cheaper, but just as good...

https://www.tbdavies.co.uk/pdfs/datasheets/1102-007-tbdavies-trade-triple-ladder.pdf
http://amzn.eu/4HqbWtv

with extended lengths of 10.2 - 10.7 metres

Don't forget, they usually give you the 'maximum safe working height' rather than the actual extended length, so check the tech specs if you're cutting if fine with the height you need to be sure it'll reach.

Gaz :)

Sponsored Links
Just checked, all 3 you link to are EN131 (which is the newer name for class 2) so they'll be fine. The top class 1 ladders will be much heavier and more expensive, so you don't want a class 1 for home use.
Thanks.
Avoid any with square or round rungs, they are uncomfortable to work on and don't give you much faith in them, especially at the heights you need! You want 'D rungs'
Indeed - I know that from past bitter experiences! All three I linked to have 'D rungs'.
The three brands you list there are all very good and will pretty much be identical. Another good brand is TB Davies, which are cheaper, but just as good...
Thanks again - I'll look into those.
Don't forget, they usually give you the 'maximum safe working height' rather than the actual extended length, so check the tech specs if you're cutting if fine with the height you need to be sure it'll reach.
Indeed. I was talking about the actual extended length with 3-rung overlaps.

Kind Regards, John

OK, I think I'm getting there ....

The Youngmans' 57012400 (Wickes) is not only easily the most expensive, but I've just discovered that (despite what I thought) actually has square rungs. The only thing really going for it is that (per Youngman's data sheet) it appears to be the longest, at 10.62m extended length (although, strangely, they quote essentially the same 'safe working height' (10.68m) as do the other (~10.2m) ones). I therefore think I'll be giving this one a miss.

I've just discovered that Homebase ( click here ) are selling the same (Werner 72341) ladder as B&Q, but at an appreciably lower price

As you say, easily the cheapest (about £50 less than even the Werner from Homebase). However, they seem to have a different idea about 'safe working height' than do the others since, although they quote a similar 'safe working height' (10.6m), the ladder, at 9.9m extended, seems to be about 0.3m shorter than the others.

I suppose that I still need to give a bit of thought to the TB Davies one but, that aside, it seems that I need to decide whether the Lyte Trade ELT340 from Screwfix offers anything to make it worth thinking of spending the £15 more than a Werner from Homebase. I suspect that there's really nothing to choose and that 'opinions will differ' - but I'd nevertheless like to hear any opinions that anyone might be prepared to offer!

Kind Regards, John

Don't think you will be disappointed, I have the exact same ladder and it's great for the money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back