Which ladders to buy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to buy a set of ladders for some work I need to do around my gutters (cleaning, replacing leaky joins, spraying where wasps are getting in). I've measured my house and it's approx 5 metres high at the gutters. I figure I need a 3 section ladder. I've seen one in screwfix for £155 which extends to 6.85 metres (10 rungs) or theres one for £190 which extends to 8.5 metres (12 rungs).

Is it worth going for the bigger one? I'm just thinking the more overlap the better? Is this the right way of thinking or is it gonna be too heavy? I think its 18kg vs 25kg for these 2. Are there any other considerations I need to make?

Sponsored Links
Now I've had a closer look I see b and q do a lightweight 3 section 6.35m for £100 but I think I'll go for the sturdier version. Is Abru any good a make? Bizzarely it's £152 for the sturdier 3 section 7.4m or £160 for the 6.35m.

Are there any better places to buy one from? Just looked at b and q and screwfix so far. Toolstation don't seem to sell anything over 4m.

Sponsored Links
Other than the obvious matter or how much storage space you have, what other considerations are there in going for a 3 section over a 2 section ladder. For the same total length, 2 sections are cheaper, but are they also sturdier as it's 2 pieces not 3? Can extending latters usually be seperated down - e.g. if I got a 7.5 metre 3 piece ladder, each section is approx 3 metres, but if was working on garage would I be able to take a section off, or is it safe to use the ladder with the 3 sections all together but not extended at all?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back