What size ladders do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My house is about 17 feet from ground to soffit (hipped roof),what maximum size extending ladder would I need to clean out my gutters?(I'm not planning on ever climbing onto the roof).

I don't want to buy ladders too big for my needs because I'd like to change a few upstairs glazing units that have blown too.

What should I look for when buying used ladders?

Sponsored Links
If 17' is 4x the recommended distance of the ladder base from the wall then you need at least sqrt [(17/4)^2 +17^2] = 17.5' and I like another 3' above to hold onto.
Almost certainly a ladder leveling device will come in handy.

On the basis that you can only reach about 7 feet, and you don't want to be standing on the ladder whilst trying to bounce it up or down the extensions, then you'll probably need a triple 10feet unit. Yes lots of wasted overlap length but it's that which gives you stiffness.

Others will no doubt disagree but that's my opinion - and the length of ladders I have for the same height of gutters.

If 17' is 4x the recommended distance of the ladder base from the wall then you need at least sqrt [(17/4)^2 +17^2] = 17.5' and I like another 3' above to hold onto.
Almost certainly a ladder leveling device will come in handy.

Er,I'm not sure I understand - you mean 20'6" would be an ideal max length?
I'm not sure what angle a ladder needs to lean at to be safe.

Sponsored Links
On the basis that you can only reach about 7 feet, and you don't want to be standing on the ladder whilst trying to bounce it up or down the extensions, then you'll probably need a triple 10feet unit. Yes lots of wasted overlap length but it's that which gives you stiffness.

Others will no doubt disagree but that's my opinion - and the length of ladders I have for the same height of gutters.

Triple ladders are expensive,I'm looking for the cheapest solution that doesn't leave me in a crumpled heap on the ground.
Will I need a stand-off for cleaning out gutters?

Er,I'm not sure I understand - you mean 20'6" would be an ideal max length?
I'm not sure what angle a ladder needs to lean at to be safe.
17.5' is the minimum length and I always like a little extra.

Lean it approximately 1' out from the wall for each 4' in height. It's an optimum angle and has something to do with vectors. I've had ladders at a 45 degree angle but I had stakes in the ground to prevent the base from slipping out.

One survival book I read said to avoid a 14' fall at all costs. At 35' ~half the people are dead and one unlucky person had permanent injuries from a 2' fall onto concrete.
You might want a safety harness and lanyard - I finally bought them for ladder work and tree work.

Thanks for that,I'll be looking for 2x12 rung ladder in woodworm free aluminium - ebay here I come... :D

aluminium woodworm - now there's an interesting little creature.

Since you apparently have never used long ladders , can you explain how you intend extending them up to your 17' soffit.

aluminium woodworm - now there's an interesting little creature.

Since you apparently have never used long ladders , can you explain how you intend extending them up to your 17' soffit.

Woodworm free aluminium as opposed to woodworm infested wooden ladders of course.

Well I thought that with a suitable overlap they would still be 20 feet long,so i'd just lean them against the wall at an angle and they'd reach 17 feet up the wall?

Have I missed something?

Not really but pushing up the sliding ladder takes quite an effort. If you can find a set with a rope extension system it'll be a little easier. Just take care if buying second hand, the seller may be getting rid of something that he/she found unsuitable. Als ensure the rungs have flat tops since round tops are hell on the feet.

Not really but pushing up the sliding ladder takes quite an effort. If you can find a set with a rope extension system it'll be a little easier. Just take care if buying second hand, the seller may be getting rid of something that he/she found unsuitable. Als ensure the rungs have flat tops since round tops are hell on the feet.

I'm guessing that the cheap and horrible ladders I'll likely end up with won't be too heavy or difficult to manage,and I'll look for flat rungs and check for damage and bodges before I hand over any money.

Thanks for the help. :)

Yes, but... If you get a 12' double ladder without a pulley, you can't extend it fully without climbing up it as you go - not recommended, especially for the faint-hearted!

A triple extension ladder is much easier to put up single handed. You can also take a section off and use it in the house, if you want. If you do buy a long double, you can extend the ladder on the ground with the foot close to the house and, with an assistant holding the foot down, 'walk' the ladder up from the top with your hands over your head.

I would recommend the use of a ladder stay if you're doing gutters - it saves you from leaning backwards or having to position the top of the ladder on the facia, just below the gutter (don't even think about leaning the ladder on the gutter!! :eek: ).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LADDER-ST...4685?pt=UK_H_G_Ladders_RL&hash=item19c42cad4d

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I don't know of a safe way to test used ladders except maybe to have someone who weighs 2x or 3x what you weigh to climb it. :eek:

Hi,
My house is about 17 feet from ground to soffit (hipped roof),what maximum size extending ladder would I need to clean out my gutters?(I'm not planning on ever climbing onto the roof).

I don't want to buy ladders too big for my needs because I'd like to change a few upstairs glazing units that have blown too.

What should I look for when buying used ladders?
Why not just speak to the supplier?
I use these, find them an excellent company.
http://www.midlandladders.com/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back