Ladder help

Reaction score
Country
Western Sahara
Trying to access my soffits with this ladder so I can at least repaint.

Trouble is, the further I climb the more swingy and wobbly the thing gets. I'm two thirds of the way up and there's some serious sway starting to happen. I'm not even that big of a chap. Question is, have I got the right ladder for the job, am I going too high with it?

At the very least I'm going to try and get a mate to hold the bottom. Really don't want to die.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-19 171834.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-19 171834.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 120
Sponsored Links
Hire a more robust ladder?

I've got my late fathers and it dates from the early 1960's - its fine for this sort of thing but cheap "light" ladders are not

You aren't extending it too far.

Some lightweight ladders sway more than others.

I have an old triple class 1 ladder, absolutely no bounce or sway, but it weighs a ton.

As above- hire a sturdier ladder- or pay someone to paint the soffit.

Christmas 2019, my customer's son put up Christmas lights on his eves At his home. He fell off the ladder and will never walk again...

Sponsored Links
Appreciated, was 50/50 expecting to be told 'just do it!'

Am looking at hiring a tower if I'm perfectly honest, might be mad as a DIYer but that might be the best bet. Still, even with that all told it may be cheaper to get someone to come and do it if they've already got the equipment. Towers are about £100 a week.

Am looking at hiring a tower if I'm perfectly honest, might be mad as a DIYer but that might be the best bet. Still, even with that all told it may be cheaper to get someone to come and do it if they've already got the equipment. Towers are about £100 a week.

If you phone around you should be able to find someone that could do a single lift of scaffolding for £250 (London prices).

But again, it may be cheaper to employ someone else.

If you hire a tower, I suggest you learn the PASMA safety training course.

towers are as dangerous as ladders if they aren’t setup and used correctly.

For example do you know the correct method of getting up onto the top of a tower?

If you hire a tower, I suggest you learn the PASMA safety training course.

towers are as dangerous as ladders if they aren’t setup and used correctly.

For example do you know the correct method of getting up onto the top of a tower?
Never built a tower in my life, not a clue. Looking at my access and the towers available for hire I'm not sure it's as easy as it looks on youtube. Think I'll just get scaffolding built for me, I don't think I know what I'm dealing with otherwise

I have a 3 part ladder and I had to go up a friends 2 part ladder and found his 2 part way more bouncy than my 3 part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back