How do you attach a ridge hook kit to an extension ladder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a ridge hook kit to bolt on to a ladder so I can get up to the chimney safely, however I only have a 2-section and 3-section extenison ladder.

The latching mechanism on an extension ladder is clearly designed to stop the ladder shortening when weight is applied to the top, but when its hung from a ridge the weight will be trying to extend the ladder.

The videos and instructions I've seen are only for single section ladders.

Would I be correct in believing that:
1) you cannot prevent an extsnsion ladder from extending?
2) I need to bolt the ridge hook to the bottom section of the ladder?
3) I can rely on the bottom stop from preventing the top section from going below the bottom section, and so it should be safe to climb the ladder in its non-extended state treading on the upper section?

or do I need to seperate the sections of the ladder and use it as a single section ladder as that's all the instructions are written for?

Sponsored Links
Extend the ladder and tie the sections together at the rungs so they can't slide down. Not what the health & safety brigade would recommend but I've done it loads of times. Just make sure you tie them well with something substantial.

Catladders do not make it safe !!!!!!!!!!!!!! and home made catladders are something else just hire some.

Is this for a single one-off DIY roof job? Or are you contemplating using it for professional purposes?

What do you propose doing at the chimney stack?

If one section of your 2-section ladder will reach, then bolt the hooks onto that length after splitting the two sections.

The access ladder or tower must be tied in at the eaves/fascia. A must.
The foot of the roof ladder can be then tied in to the projecting (36")above the gutter access ladder head.

Sponsored Links
You dismantle the ladder into 3 sections and make sure the kit fits properly to the bottom section on its own. If it's not long enough, buy a bigger ladder, what cost do you put on your life?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back