Sloped Roof Extension Pointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the back of the house I have a single story, sloped roof, lean to room that we laughingly call our utility room. At some point we are going to demolish it and replace the thing with a more 21st centrury extension.

The pointing aound the flashing where the roof of this room meets the wall of the house needs redoing. There is now the beginnings of damp coming through the wall into the bedroom against which it leans.

My problem is I am not sure how to safely get at the line where the roof joins the house.

I could put a ladder up to the bottom of the roof, or I could climb out of the bedroom window on to the roof, but both of those solutions invovle walking on the roof tiles directly. That prospect doesn’t fill me with confidence, as I am not sure that I won’t encounter a loose tile or two and I have no wish to go sliding down and then off the roof.

As far as I am aware, I can’t use a roof ladder since there is no apex to hook it over.

The job is way too small to justify the expense of scaffolding.

How would others approach this problem.

Sponsored Links
. . . How would others approach this problem.
Looks like they wouldn't!

Anyway, without actually seeing it, and it sounds like a "5 minute job" anyway, my solution would be:
hessian sandbags with planks across (yes, I am serious . . . but that's me)

Looks like they wouldn't!

I thought the same thing myself. :confused:

In the end I added it to a bunch of other small bits including some pointing (which is a job I hate), and farmed it out to a local builder. He said that he would just hop out of the bedroom window and walk on the roof directly.

I'll post agin if he falls off. ;)

Thanks for your suggestion.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back