roof repair myself

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am purchasing a house and the ridge tiles need replacing.

Has anyone been up on the roof and done this themselves? If so, did you use a ladder or scaffolding? Did you use a roofing ladder (hanging over ridge tiles) or just one to get up to the roof?

Is a ladder suitable enough?

Any tips?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Get a roofer in mate. Some jobs can be done yourself....roofings not really one of them....safely anyway.

Need more detail....scaffold will probably be needed other times roof ladder is sufficient depending on height/pitch etc. Problem with that is if you rebedding the ridges or putting on dry ridge you really need to go up and down the roof ladder. Comes down to safety. Seen and heard of them tipping before. The very least you,ll need is a second man.

Comes down to how much you value your life. Could go up and do 1,000 jobs but have an accident on one and its all over for the sake of say 500 or a grand or whatever.

I know its advice that will be frowned upon...but if it was me...i,d go up and repoint the ridges. Pva the old cement. Bucket of new cement. Its a temporary measure but seen a lot of them lasting five/ten years plus. Just keep the roof going till its time to renew the lot...when you can get in a full scaffold for it and putting dry ridge on it. Or better yet get a roofer to do it.

Otherwise get a roofer in who,ll do a proper job of it.

cheers for reply. Yes i agree my life is worth much more than a few hundred quid!

Been looking at this closer and i'm thinking for the sake of £500 repair i may aswell get a full new roof. It's only a typical 2 bed mid terraced house. What do you expect a reasonable price to pay would be?

cheers

cheers for reply. Yes i agree my life is worth much more than a few hundred quid!

Been looking at this closer and i'm thinking for the sake of £500 repair i may aswell get a full new roof. It's only a typical 2 bed mid terraced house. What do you expect a reasonable price to pay would be?

cheers

I,d say around 5 grand maybe slightly more...hard to say cause it is dependant on location etc. Maybe time to look at getting upvc fascias etc while their up there with the scaffold being up. Its a no brainer for me....pay 5 or 6 grand now then you can relax for the next 30-40 years knowing the roof should be fine for that length of time. Also more attractive if you do go to sell it....get your money back on it i,d have thought.

Never a massive fan of rebedding ridges. Only because you really do need a scaffold for it. If you go to the hassle of a scaffold...you,d be as well putting a new roof on or pointing them and hoping for the best. Its not great practice but seen them last for five/ten plus years. Usually the hips that fail early when repointing.

Sponsored Links
Anything under 22° and you can use a ladder and walk up it. Anything over and you should use a scaffold, or a ladder and cat ladder secured to it if you want to chance that.

When I was younger I did all mine myself, a bucket of mortar, a few tools and a brush and spent the day up there, tied to the chimney.

These days Ill still go up there, still tied to the chimney (with harness now) but from the back and I won't venture over the ridge as the front is a far longer drop (well it appears so) and I know a man that will fix my roof for me.
Now I'm happy to pay for it to be done..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back