Would this type of roof be safe to stand on (pic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will soon be moving into a new house and am planning to paint the facias and soffits. Problem is the ground floor roof tiling looks like it would make it an unsafe angle to put a ladder against the brick wall. Was thinking I might be able to climb out the bedroom window and stand on the lower roof. Would this risk damaging the roof or is there any better way of completing the task?

I might be lucky and the ladder may just touch the top of the eaves with a good angle but i doubt it!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
when you stand on a roof, you usually break several tiles. Sometimes you fall off as well.

You could use two stand-off ladders with a couple of lengths of scafold board across them to create a platform.

You may be able to lean a ladder over the lower roof, but you would need a strong helper to support the bottom of the ladder, and probably fix it to the ground mechanically* as well to prevent it slipping as the angle looks to be far too shallow to be safe with one person.

* You can use a car bumper and a blanket to protect it from scratches

Wouldn't advise it. I would either scaffold or hire a ladder platform. 1 it can be dangerous & 2 you won't be able to get into a good position to carry out a decent finish.

Sponsored Links
I would stand on the roof as it looks shallow enough and concrete tiles give good grip normally, but the amount of time you will be up there you will almost certainly break a tile or two, so you had better look for some tiles before you start. You could have a length of rope round your waist coming out of one of the windows for a bit of security.

I'd stand on the roof too, from a ladder tho, not out a window.. Just watch the tiles can get slippy when wet. I'll also second that you'll probably crack a few so source availability before you start.

Mostof the tiles will not be nailed and so you can slide some of them upwards.
This will enable you to stand with your feet on the top corner of the tile so that yo will not slip.

This part of the tile is supported by the batten underneatyh and will reduce the chance of you breaking them.

Ask the pros in the decorating forum - I`ll bet most of them will say " cherry picker " :idea:

A cherry picker is great but to hire one for a dsay or two would probably cost a lot more than having a scaffold put up.

Probably about £200 for a scaffold.

Remember this is a DIY forum not a PRO forum guys. You wouldn't want an injury on your conscience from giving advice. Scaffold or cherry-pick it, safest way.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like a scaffold is the best bet. A simple maintenance job seems to of turned into a bit of a faff. If im going to spend money I might as well get someone in to fit upvc facias/soffits as fitting circular soffit vents was another task i had planned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back