Ladder from Balcony to Roof Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a new house with a flat roof, and I need to access it to clean the guttering and drainage points. The house has a ground flor and 2 further floors. The only access to the roof is from the top floor via a small balcony (6'x3'). I've attached some photos.

I'm trying to decide if it's safer to access using:

Option 1: Ladder angled directly away from the balcony guardrail and drop.
PROS - The ladder buts up against the solid balcony edge and the higher up I go, the further away from the balcony drop I would be. I also don't have to look down the drop! A sideways fall would be ok.
CONS: The angle looks a little steep. When starting up the ladder would be a little tight against the guard rail. A backwards fall would be bad.

OR

Option 2: Ladder angled parallel to the guard rail and drop.
PROS: I can get a better angle on the ladder. A backwards fall would be ok.
CONS: There's more exposure to the full height throughout the climb.
A sideways fall would be bad.

I will have someone spotting me/standing on the lowest rung, and I will be waiting for good weather to go up there. But due to the significant drop off the balcony, I'm trying to assess the likelihood of falling sideways vs. backwards.

I'm also looking for harnessing/roping options as we paid a lot for this house, and my wife would be really ****ed if I fell off and couldn't pay the mortgage anymore.

All advice welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_4009.JPG
    IMG_4009.JPG
    416.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4010.JPG
    IMG_4010.JPG
    493.6 KB · Views: 160
  • X.png
    X.png
    762.6 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
Looks like the sort of place where there will be a service charge to cover exterior maintenance....

A harness can be as dangerous as a fall without a rescue plan
I would run a ladder parallel to the balcony and extended well above the height you might climb off.

If using a rope/harness, something that slides along a guide line is safer

I wouldn't get on that ladder for a gold pig. It looks either upside down or the wrong way around.

Sponsored Links
When was that block built- looks like a CDM fail if that's the only access. Plus there's no apparent guardrail on the edge of the roof.
As @Captain Nemesis , it does look like the sort of place you'd be paying service charges on, gutter clearing should very much be included not an 'extra'.

Perhaps there's a safe means of access via one of the property's and there's a fall arrest system up there, know anyone with a drone cam? Asked the neighbours? Might even be able to see something on Google Earth.

It looks like the extending/locking mechanism used by loft ladders, that's for sure. But if they are safe to use when extended in order to climb up into a loft....

And it is neither upside down nor the wrong way round - look at the notices and the shape of the treads.

Its not really the type of ladder which is the problem here....

Plan B:

• A decent pressure washer
  • A rigid extension tube
  • A gutter cleaning nozzle
  • Goggles
  • Good waterproof clothing inc a jacket with a drawstring hood

If your asking you are obviously not sure. I wouldn't be going up there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back