Flat Roof - Converting to a Balcony?

Sponsored Links
Tbh if you've got 35k why not fix that bay window and go up into the loft ....
....and do what? Spend another £35k converting the loft? Did you not notice the hipped roof?

Mood Board = SELECTION OF PICTURES TO CONVEY AN IDEA

35K - Yes I did see the Hip but I think 35k would be better spent creating an extra bedroom with a "view" instead of 35k to put a balcony in !!!

Sponsored Links
Without getting drawn into an argument ... A mood board could include more than just pictures :)

Words ? Materials ? .... You're right though, When I've worked with interior designers in the past they would be pretty hard pushed to charge for a montage of pictures of other people's work so there is a indeed a difference ;)

Anyway in this instance the OP and his architect don't seem to be aligned with any kind of vision for what is achievable here. Firstly in respect of planning and secondly imho in respect of where best to spend that 35k

Your architect sounds like an ar5e, of course the bay could be built up higher and designed to have a suitable roof, and surely as an architect it would be within his field to combine that with something aesthetically pleasing, obviously planning dependent.

Tbh if you've got 35k why not fix that bay window and go up into the loft ....

Have you seen those velux balcony Windows ? Cabrio I think

We will be rebuilding the bays.

Just googled the velux balcony windows - they are very nice. I don't really want a fourth bedroom though as in a couple of years time it is likely that just me and my husband will be left at home.

I will try to get a meeting with a planning officer. Thanks.

Your architect sounds like an ar5e, of course the bay could be built up higher and designed to have a suitable roof, and surely as an architect it would be within his field to combine that with something aesthetically pleasing, obviously planning dependent.

Thank you. I'm out of my depth with architects but I would have thought they should be telling us what sort of thing we can have. I will see if I can get a recommendation of a decent architect from planning dept.

Thank you. I'm out of my depth with architects but I would have thought they should be telling us what sort of thing we can have.
Well both really. But what your proposing is definitely possible, particularly as you are going to be rebuilding the bays anyway and a decent architect should be finding a practical way to achieve it

OMG what a painful thread, as mentioned in principle there is nothing wrong with your plan. Agree a step down onto the balcony is daft. The new bay roof just needs to be built higher. But frankly I suspect that panning would be the major hurdle here unless front balconies are frequent within the immediate vicinity. Now we don’t really know anything about your architect and BTW an RIBA registered architect assuming he is one is complete overkill, a good architectural technician would be more than adequate but just instruct him to whack an application in for a balcony at floor level or with one step down. There’s little point fully designing the thing if planning can’t be gained though the proposals need to reflect reality so if a couple of posts in each corner were needed for example the proposals should reflect that. Whilst balconies like this can be complicated they should not fluster a good designer. If the architect is no good then employ someone else, look through the online applications and find a technician that way. For a basic planning application should not be costing you more than say £400 + £172 local authority fee. Then if planning is successful then some Building Regs drawings should be done including some structural engineers input but as mentioned not before planning is granted.

Forget feckin mood boards that kinda crap exists for new builds, interiors or multi million pound developments not feckin balcony’s, if you can’t convey what you want about a balcony without maybe a the odd google link or pic the architect or the client need some urgent hospital treatment.

@ the other contributors the OP does not have £35K for this balcony, that’s their total renovation budget so forget loft conversions etc

A word of caution, if the bays are being rebuilt – as in completely demolished and then rebuilt then theoretically you may need planning permission for rebuilding them especially if they are significantly different, once something is demolished it is no longer there so PP is then required for building something in their place.

You lot are far too invested in the terminology I used here.

All I said was show the architect designs you like to save going back n forth !!

FFS ... There really no need to nonsense my comment quite so condescendingly

Yes you are quite right and I for one would like to apologise. And believe me if I was actually sorry I would apologise. You see we can do sarcasm too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back