Ladder on pitched roof advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Thought this section would be best to post in.

I was wondering if I could use my ladder (such as http://www.screwfix.com/p/multipurpose-ladder-4-section-4-x-3-rungs-3-34m/59020) to lay against the slate tiles of a pitched roof so that I can get up for access to paint a dormer? Will this harm the roof? Should I get a different ladder? If this is all wrong, what way should I go about doing it?

For full information:
I have a shallow pitched roof, from which a box dormer comes out. The wood on the outside of the square box dormer needs painted. There is a nice large section of flat roof outside the dormer window, and from which the pitched roof comes out from.

In terms of safety, the bottom of the ladder would be on a deep flat section of roof, and the pitched roof is not a steep angle. I would probably get someone to hold the ladder whilst I'm doing the work, just to be extra safe. The access would be in the middle of the building with no way of falling to the left or right. I don't see any safety concerns here, as long as I stay aware.

Dormer might extend 1.5 meters out from pitched roof.
There is at least 2 meters of flat roof extending out after the dormer ends.

So my question is really about harming the roof, rather than myself!
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Those ladders frighten me can you not buy a few lengths of batons and make yourself a catladder for the purpose.

Those ladders frighten me can you not buy a few lengths of batons and make yourself a catladder for the purpose.

Frighten you as in it might damage the roof, or might damage me?
I'm not worried about me - pitch is about less than 30 degrees, from flat! Even if I fell off the ladders, I would fall onto a substantial flat roof.

Is there any advantage of a cat ladder over my ladder in terms of possible roof damage?

Sponsored Links
Frighten you as in it might damage the roof, or might damage me??
How about all of those?

If you really want to buy that ladder, watch this first: http://youtu.be/6ZhMfzc9RbU[/QUOTE]

No, I already have a similar ladder to that for various work in the house; I've never used it in the configuration used on that youtube clip, nor would I really have any need to - and certainly doesn't apply to putting it fully vertical and leaning against a shallow roof incline which I am asking about!

So are you are suggesting it could cause damage to tiles if I used it on the roof?

If you want to put your ladder on the roof then I would advise you to put a length of the grey pipe lagging on to your ladder and tape it on.

Frighten you as in it might damage the roof, or might damage me??
How about all of those?

If you really want to buy that ladder, watch this first: http://youtu.be/6ZhMfzc9RbU[/QUOTE]

That looks different to the Screwfix one. Look at the locking hinges.

I have one similar to the Screwfix one and it hasn't let me down (literally) for several years. You just have to make sure that the sprung catches have fully locked into place. It's not difficult.

I did once see a British TV advert (on one of those amateurish digital channels) for this sort of ladder, where the guy demonstrating it fell down when it collapsed. That was funny too. He clearly hadn't locked it properly.

If you want to put your ladder on the roof then I would advise you to put a length of the grey pipe lagging on to your ladder and tape it on.

Well, at least that's a more accurate answer for my question; thank you.

I presume you are suggesting that because the metal ladder could likely damage some tiles.. which is what I was getting at with my question!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back