Ladder help

Those birds are thinking who does this guy think he is? Bloody cheek! I never asked for my house painting...

Sponsored Links
The birds bloody fault I'm up there. I think they're trying to play 4d chess and get me killed mind you.

Good quality two part aluminium ladder with 150kg weight limit should be fine. It's the person on it swaying about and leaning one handed that is the danger. Worth hiring a tower scaffold, and do inspection nest removal and painting in one fell swoop.

If by some chance you could find a pallet, a plank of wood, a car wheel and a clothes dryer anywhere I could advise you how to build a safe working platform.

Sponsored Links
I’m not very good with heights, there’s no chance I would go that high on a ladder

I brought my own tower about 23 years ago and although it only gets used now very 2 or so years it has paid for its-self many times over. Even just using 2 flights of it when re setting rosemary's on a porch makes life so much easier as can build 2 flights side by side and walk about. I am lucky as I have some where to store it I suppose.

I brought my own tower about 23 years ago and although it only gets used now very 2 or so years it has paid for its-self many times over. Even just using 2 flights of it when re setting rosemary's on a porch makes life so much easier as can build 2 flights side by side and walk about. I am lucky as I have some where to store it I suppose.
Is that one of the alloy ones with the thick tubes?
I’ve got one of the cheapo steel H section ones and it’s not great beyond ground floor eaves height, very wobbly.

I’ve got one of the cheapo steel H section ones and it’s not great beyond ground floor eaves height, very wobbly.
No it sounds the same as yours its steel h sections with thinner tube section that slots into the one above it but not wobbly. I had builders who had one the same and theirs was really wobly - I think the key is to not keep whacking it with a hammer under the - bit of the H when you are trying to dismantle it - parts of their tube were almost flat from where they got angry with it.
I have extra boards for it and I make sort of a staircase inside it to get up ducking underneath the 2 cross brace pieces.

What about getting some mop handles, drill holes through them, screw and tighten with nuts and then use with an extensible roller head?

I have the cheapo one, I tend to use a few lorries ratchet straps to pull it all tight when using at full height.

If I was going to go up that ladder, I'd be tempted to screw a block into the patio (if it's secure) to keep the feet in place, and (again if it's secure) tie the ladder into some fixings in that wooden piece across the building face.

I have a couple of inconspicuously placed brass* eye bolts half way up the highest walls. I only have to go up once very carefully, secure the ladder, and it then feels much more 'fixed'.

*Brass looking. Chose them because my house is painted render and I wanted to avoid rust stains.

If I was going to go up that ladder, I'd be tempted to screw a block into the patio (if it's secure) to keep the feet in place, and (again if it's secure) tie the ladder into some fixings in that wooden piece across the building face.

Working close to the building corner, as in that photo - I would want that ladder lashed to something to prevent it slipping right, beyond the corner. Lashing via that window would do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back