Correct immersion heater size for 1050x450 cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've had a new hot water cylinder installed along with new immersion heater. Not sure what size the immersion heater is, but I suspect it's far too small (perhaps 11") because regardless how long it's operating for, I only get quarter bath full of hot water before runs cold.

What's the correct size immersion heater for 1050x450 cylinder, 27" or 30" please?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Sorry, should have added, it's top entry. So will 27" heat up whole tank? I wish I had a look (or even kept) the old one now as that did heat up whole tank.

One last thing, how are they measured please? Is it the actually element that measures 27", or the unit as a whole?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, should have added, it's top entry. So will 27" heat up whole tank? I wish I had a look (or even kept) the old one now as that did heat up whole tank.

One last thing, how are they measured please? Is it the actually element that measures 27", or the unit as a whole?

It'll heat the whole tank mate.

From the boss to the end of the element.

I'm not having much luck convincing company who fitted new hot water cylinder and immersion heater that there is in fact a problem.

I've explained that regardless of how long it's on for, I simply do not get a full tank of hot water (quarter bath full at best). Company assure me that it already has a 27" element and they have checked the wiring and all appears fine so don't know what the problem could be. Supervisor advised that even if it was a 10" element, over a two hour period of being on (which is what I advise I had it on for and still didn't get full tank), he said I would get a full tank of hot water, and that he has been doing this for over 30 years so not trying to fob me off.

I am very much a layman when it comes to this things, but I learn what I can from research online, and to me the problem seems obvious. The element simply cannot be 27", or the whole element is not heating up. The later is unlikely right? If so that means it has to be a shorter element, but company doesn't seem to want to pull it out to check. Is this a difficult task then? Is there any other way I can find out for sure myself, or is there anything else that would cause this problem please?

Data plate on the top of the immersion may contain details of the length.

Have a look or pop a picture up of it and we'll have a look.

Jon

Here you go...

IMG_20160424_174934.jpg

Tesla TIH 525 is a 27" Immersion heater.

I would get the original guys back out as there is something amiss. It would appear that the element is shutting off prematurely for some reason, possibly stat related or the element is faulty from new.

A few electrical tests would diagnose the issue.

Jon

Silly question but in your OP you say that you only get a quarter of a bath of hot water before it runs cold but how big is your bath? A 1050 x 450 holds about 140 litres but not all of this will be hot as cold is mixed in as its used. From a 140 litre cylinder I would expect to get about 100 litres off it before you noticed a substantial temperature drop maybe less.

Rather than a quarter of your bath can you measure or work out how many litres you are actually getting off it?

Jon

Thank you. They did perform an electrical test the last time, and they said everything was fine... but clearly something is wrong. Think I need to just literally show them how much hot water I've getting after running a bath.

Yep standard bath size, so I'm getting roughly 35 liters before running cold. As said old immersion heat heated up full tank, but new one just not managing it.

Ok well i would suspect a faulty immersion or stat from new. Being a new install it would take them less than half an hour to swap it out to a new one.

35 litres is a lot less than I would expect to get from it.

Keep on at the original installers as there is obviously a fault and any DIYing will stop them attending to rectify.

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back