Adding an immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 27 year old copper hot water cylinder which has never had an immersion heater fitted. The price of gas seems so expensive now I'm thinking of adding an immersion heater. What are the chances of removing the large hexagon bung (at the top) after all this time without damaging the tank?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your prompt reply. Any tips on how to go about it. I can borrow the spanner.

if the spanner won't shift it you can try abit of heat.
or failing that i drill them out.

Sponsored Links
The tank is lagged with a coating of foam sprayed all over it so I'm not sure about heating it up with a blow lamp. Would I have to cut away the foam around the bung?

The tank is lagged with a coating of foam sprayed all over it so I'm not sure about heating it up with a blow lamp. Would I have to cut away the foam around the bung?

no just heat the foam and stand back.the nut will fall out
throw on a pizza and sausages while your at it.save a fortune........

When I do it I'll let you know and if you are in the area, bring a bottle and we'll have a party!

I know my question may have sounded a little odd but there is an area on the tank by a soldered joint which has been burnt by a blow lamp and the coating is scorched. It hadn't caught fire so I assumed the coating was fire retardent.

it will blacken and melt.
av ago with a spanner first
chances are you will have to remove a bit of foam and heat

elecy will be dearer to heat than gas tho
would only recomend as a backup

You cant beat a bit of burnt foam lagging aroma on your sausages and Pizza. I sometimes shake a little boss white over the top to give it an edge.

no just heat the foam and stand back.the nut will fall out
throw on a pizza and sausages while your at it.save a fortune........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back