Help - Bizzare Immersion Heater Problem :S

Sponsored Links
and (forgive me if I'm wrong) it sounds as if you had been running the old one 24 hours a day. Switch it off, except on days when your gas boiler has broken down or is switched off in hot weather - it will save you money and the new immersion will last longer.

solo said:
Ha ha. I'm charging £115.00 (no VAT) to replace an immersion tomorrow and I'm nowhere near London. Don't know how you get by on those prices? ;)

Last one I done, I don't normally touch plumbing, was £146 + VAT top side entry. Couldnt get it out easily so gave quote of 495 + VAT to replace 20 year only direct cylinder, or they could get someone else in. I got the job but can't squeeze it in for another 4 weeks :rolleyes:

This was a top entry jobby for an old lady. DHW tank sat right above so I thought I'd have to partially drain cylinder and swing it round for access. Whoever replaced the last one had just stuck an 11" heater in. Old one out and new 27" one back in no probs. Other guy who came to look at it said it was too big a job and he didn't have the manpower for it. PMSL. Wonder where he served his time? Knocked £25.00 quid off with it being so straight forward. Everybody's happy.

Sponsored Links
Gas 4 me.....@ that price I`d travel up and do it :rolleyes: what`s wrong with a blowlamp flame applied until the washer goes bang...that`s how I used to get the awqward ones out ...or are you afraid of "asbestos" washers and "hot working"sounds like Norfolk is where Long John should be digging .......yup it`s that part of Treasure Island :LOL: Corgi schmorgi

I was forced (dropped in it) by a property maintenance company I do gas work for to take it on. I didn't want to do it anyway. I'm not a plumber so gave up after about 20mins huffing and puffing :LOL: I didn't want to set fire to the foam insulation either.

God knows when I can do it, haven't given them a proper date yet.

Any immersion heater changes I usually tell customers to get a sparks in. I don't want to know about awkward jobs.

I'm very selective over work in my old age and too busy to worry if I don't get these sort of jobs ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back