Correct install of thermawrap (aluminium bubble wrap)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help, I'm confused - still struggling with an old issue:

I want to put thermal bubble wrap at the rafter level of the loft. At present it is a cold loft (with joist level insulation) but after severe flood damage, I want to make it a warmer loft to prevent pipe freeze.

I have boards covering the joist insulation over most of the loft and have been thinking to bring the bubble insulation on the rafters right down to pin it to the loft boards (adding new boards where necessary).

The intention is during colder spells to leave the loft door open and kind of heat the space.

However I have been told by friends that I must leave a gap for ventilation to avoid condensation. If I do leave a gap I'll have trouble keeping it warm.

If I don't insulate and leave the loft door open, won't I get condensation anyway?

Sponsored Links
If I don't insulate and leave the loft door open, won't I get condensation anyway
?

No, because the warmth coming up will be dramatically diluted by the eaves ventilation.

This is also why leaving the loft-hatch ajar is unlikely to help you in your quest for non-freezing tanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back