Foil bubblewrap insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
In the summer we had the loft floor boarded and foil bubble wrapped the rafters.

last week I went up in the loft and I noticed there was condensation all over the foil insulation. The work that went into putting to up the foil and boarding the floor wasn't easy, and now that the loft is full of storage boxes etc I'm really dreading that someone is going to say rip off all the bubblewrap.

However I was wondering would fitting a condensation ventilation unit help?

The bubble wrap is from B&q, B&q also have a video on YouTube doing the exact same thing I've done.

I've attached a few images, can someone please confirm a condensation ventilation unit would solve the problem.

Thank you very much

Attachments

• 20160124_161700.jpg
    20160124_161700.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 454
  • 20160124_161801.jpg
    20160124_161801.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 408
  • 20160124_161812.jpg
    20160124_161812.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 412
Sponsored Links
What kind of membrane is under the tiles, a modern breathable one or traditional felt? How was the roof vented before? Does your foil go down to meet the insulation at floor level? Kind of looks like it does in the first photo?

Some of the videos that B&Q publish should not be allowed!

Thanks for the reply,

Traditional felt under the tiles, I'm
not sure how the roof was vented sorry,
and yes the insulation goes down to floor level.

Sponsored Links
Are there soffit vents or eaves vents? You need to find out.

The warm is that is getting through the ceiling insulation is condensing on the underside of your foil insulation. This will continue to happen until you open up a vent path at the eaves which you have likely blocked with foil insulation.

Furthermore, without eaves and ridge ventilation any air that may get through the foil insulation that has any vapour in it will condense against the underside of the felt underlay causing condensation to occur between the foil and the felt causing the timber to decay long term.

As far as I can remember doesn't notice any soffit or eaves vents, would a condensation
Unit be efficient?

Do you mean positive ventilation from Passivent or similar? Maybe - not really designed for putting bodges right really though.

Bubble insulation sounds like absolute nonsense because in fact there will be significant areas where there there is nothing but one thickness of plastic film which offers no insulation worth mentioning and will create condensation.

Put bluntly , you need an impermeable membrane (plastc sheet ) over the full area of the joists aand whatever insulation you choose on top of that *.

* hi , Freddy !

My post only replies to your question about insulating the ceiling and nothing to do with with the roof which is completey separate.

The multi-foil (bubble wrap?) insulation in this case is simply inadequate, it is getting cold enough to allow condensation.

Originally this stuff was designed to have a vapour control layer (plastic sheet), 25mm *airtight* airspace / multi-foil / 25mm airspace. The sealed airspace in front of the multi-foil was part of the insulation system, in that it became a part of the insulation layer. Frankly can't understand how B&Q advise this (not looked at the link mind you), if this is what B&Q advise then I am surprised some lawsuits/insurance claims are not coming their way.

Without a vapour control layer or the 25mm airspace, it is not working thus the condensation, (and this is all before we get into any arguments about the actual performance of multi-foil insulation).

In theory the rafters and felt behind should not be getting any condensation as it is all happening in your loft, the bubble wrap is acting as a VCL, but Freddy is right to raise it as a risk, I would not be putting the theory to the test.

You have three options.

* Ensure that there is through ventilation behind the multi-foil to the felt and rafters from eaves to ridge, batten out to create a 25mm sealed airspace with a VCL, and add additional rigid insulation (the multi-foil on its own cannot meet thermal regs, multi-foil is used in addition with further insulation to meet regs for a comparatively thinner wall thickness).

* Rip it out, its a roof!, insulate the ceiling joists as is normal.

* Rip it out, ensure through ventilation rafters to ridge, face the rafters with rigid insulation, or put insulation between rafters NOT to their full depth and with ventilation behind the felt.

As you can see, doing it properly requires a lot more work and thought. Rigid insulation is not necessary, just easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back