Extra loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We'd like to improve the insulation in our loft (4" fibreglass wool at present between joists). The 'felt' under the interlocking concrete tiles is brittle/thick black bitumen type.

In the very cold weather we get condensation on this 'felt', which is not too bad.

I'd like to increase the insulation in the loft on top of the existing fibreglass but am wary of the accompanying condensation.

We have 6 or so vents at soffit level at both the front and back and the eaves are not restricted by insulation etc.

I've seen the wool based insulation at B&Q (55% Wool, 35% Recycled Plastic, 10% Binder.) which says breathable, which is encouraging. Would I need additional venting (e.g. ridge or midway up roof with tile vents?) though to prevent condensation increase?

I did try the bubblewrap/silver foil faced insulation pinned with correct gap to the pitch of the roof internally in the past but this caused a lot of condensation under the felt and had to be quickly removed. I followed the instructions correctly.

we have a 1970's semi.

thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
I want to top up the existing fibreglass wool insulation which sits between the joists ( probably run at right angles to the existing insulation).ie the 'floor' of the loft.

Should be minimum of 300mm thick. I did mine last year.

Makes a hell of a difference.

Andy

Sponsored Links
We used 200mm Space Blanket at across the joists to top up. It's so easy to lay being covered in foil and plastic. The difference in incredeble.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back