Loft boarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 2 months ago I boarded a 12ft square area of my loft with OSB board. I checked on it today and noticed some of the boards have distorted, I lifted one of the boards and found it was wet and mouldy underneath.

The boards were fixed directly onto the ceiling joists, in between the joists is two layers of sheeps wool insulation. The top surface of the insulation is wet but below that is bone dry.

Below the insulation is wood wool ceilings boards, and beneath that is lime plaster, both of which are also bone dry.

I'm guessing humidity from the room below has passed though all the breathable layers (which are dry) and then condensed on the underside of the OSB boards.

I need to be able to protect the wool insulation from all the crap that comes off the underside of the tiles (I have no felting) but obviously I need to allow it to vent off all the moisture coming though. There is good ventilation from under the eaves, and generally the loft area is well ventilated. I read that I should have left at least 50mm gap between the underside of the boards and top of the insulation?

I'm thinking now that the best option would be to use those loft legs from B&Q to create a raised platform at least 50mm above the insulation and hope there is enough airflow underneath to ventilate it.

Sponsored Links
Some 2"x 2" timber laid perpendicular to existing joist will do the trick and board above that.
Is the area above the bathroom?
Even bedrooms will produce an amount of condensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back