correct screws for 18mm ply

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
usually I just use what I have to hand that looks right.

Am having old chipboard floor pulled up and new 18mm hardwood-faced WBP put down, what is the best screw to use? 400mm centres joists, it's a bedroom, 5mx3m. I will be finishing with Ron's hard varnish.

tia.

Sponsored Links
are you countersinking plugging them covering with a floor covering or leaving them on show??

50-60mm 4.5mm or 5mm

countersinking not (planning to) plug

no. 10, 2", pozi, BZP, is that?

might be on show with some rugs until I can afford a nice carpet. I thought I might give the heads a dab of stain or paint to blend them in

I have a plug cutter, how thick should they be if I change my mind?

standard practice is 2.5 times what you are fixing... so for 18mm ply use 45mm screws...

Sponsored Links
countersinking not (planning to) plug

no. 10, 2", pozi, BZP, is that?

might be on show with some rugs until I can afford a nice carpet. I thought I might give the heads a dab of stain or paint to blend them in

I have a plug cutter, how thick should they be if I change my mind?

the reason i suggested metric is because they are passive coated so yellow/gold rather than silver but yes 8x2" or 10x2" are fine

the trouble with not countersinking is you are relying on the head to compress and force its way flush with the surface you are bound to get the odd place where the ply will splinter and stick up
you will also find it extremely difficult to get exactly flush rather than a bit proud or or hollow

also remember ply doesn't look like proper hardwood because its cut from the log from the outside surface the grain will be far to far apart to look right :rolleyes:

sorry, I meant "countersinking, yes, but not planning to plug" :oops:

I was thinking of pencilling lines at 120mm or so, and staining from different pots alternately to give the impression of planks, unless you look too hard.

Not sure what the hardwood surface is, it has the look of a burr walnut, but this must just be how it came of the log. It is not very red.

I have a box of 1000 BZP no. 10 2" countersunk, though I think they are the metric equivalent really, I will have a look for yellow plated which might look better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back