Correct way to fit tile beads at window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the correct way to fit mitred pvc tile beads around the external corners of a window reveal?

Does the flat section go against the reveal or on the face of the main wall abutting the reveal?

Would you tile the reveal first or the main wall?

Do you fix all four beads in place and then tile or secure the beads as you are tiling?

Do you leave a gap between the mitres and grout them or fit them tight to each other with no gap?

And the million dollar question, how do you maintain the same gap between the tile edge and the bead if a) the plastering skim bead is out of plumb (which I have on one side) and b) the main wall is not flat (which I have on the other side) :mad: I didn't do the plastering BTW but that's another story in itself.

Many thanks in anticipation of any responses.

Mr M

Sponsored Links
Does the flat section go against the reveal or on the face of the main wall abutting the reveal?
against the reveal

Would you tile the reveal first or the main wall?
Main wall first

Do you fix all four beads in place and then tile or secure the beads as you are tiling?
Cut and fit the beads with a bit of gaffer tape to hold in place then secure with tiles

Do you leave a gap between the mitres and grout them or fit them tight to each other with no gap?
I don't leave a gap butt up tight

And the million dollar question, how do you maintain the same gap between the tile edge and the bead if a) the plastering skim bead is out of plumb (which I have on one side) and b) the main wall is not flat (which I have on the other side) I didn't do the plastering BTW but that's another story in itself.
Use spacers but only a mil or two,if the skim is not plumb then you can correct small amounts with the adhesive,put a thin skim over then leave over night before tiling over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back