Expansion gap between tiles/bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What size expansion gap should I leave between bath/tiles?

When I fitted the bath I ran a bead of silicone between bath and walls and left it to go off with bath filled up.

Just not sure what sort of sealant gap I should leave between the tiles and bath.

Same as grout joint, 3mm?

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks, I could space them 2mm if that would be better?

I'd leave 2mm, because the gap will open when you fill the bath prior to sealing.

Sponsored Links
Good point :)

Although it shouldn't move too much as I siliconed it to wall and fixed to wall using brackets with it full of water.

Hallsy said:
Although it shouldn't move too much as I siliconed it to wall and fixed to wall using brackets with it full of water.
Oh, OK. I agree that in that case the brackets are likely to stop in moving. However, 2mm is plenty big enough to apply silicone sealant.

Starter for 10: which sealant product do you intend to use?

I'm curious about why you think that - surely not because of the posts on this topic? :confused:

No not because of this topic. Just the feeling I get from the last posts/threads he's made make me feel like he's taking the rise. Seems like he/she isn't in the market to take advice what so ever. Just my opinion of course. ;)

Not sure where you're both coming from??? What advise have I taken from you Gcol and not used?

The comments about the Fastflex were in hindsight as I had already laid the floor after you told me it would crack/become loose.

I'm using Dow Corning 785 as recommended by others on this board and will go with the 2mm gap.

Cheers :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back