Bath-to-tile gap: sealing a wide gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently tiled my bathroom and left a 1/2 inch gap between the tiles and the bath. This seems a bit wide to seal with a bead of silicon. The install notes that came with the bath recommend a 1/4 inch gap. And filling the bath with water will increase the gap even more.
What are the best options for sealing this gap? Wickes sell L-shaped plastic profiles. But do they stay stuck?

Mike

Sponsored Links
Cant the height of the bath be adjusted to reduce that gap?

if not then you can go down the road of the sealing strips but i'd rather use silicon. i'm sure somebody else has a better opinion on here though...

>Cant the height of the bath be adjusted to reduce that gap? <

Good idea. But I'll have to see whether I can reach the bath "legs" now it is all installed. Also, I'm not sure how play there is in the plumbing pipes.

Otherwise, it will have to be some sort of plastic strip.

Mike

Why the devil did you leave a 1/2" gap - even a 1/4" is too much. 2mm is the most you want to be leaving.
Completely forget the plastic strips - they are truely garbage, come unstuck and get grubby real quick.

Sponsored Links
Good idea. But I'll have to see whether I can reach the bath "legs" now it is all installed. Also, I'm not sure how play there is in the plumbing pipes.
If there is no panel on the bath you should be able to adjust the feet a bit,the plumbing should allow you to adjust such a small amount.

Otherwise, it will have to be some sort of plastic strip.
You can get a quadrant type beading made by homelux has an adhesive strip on one edge,its not ideal but when its fitted and siliconed in will cover the gap and looks quite neat.I fitted some around my dads bath about 5 years ago and it still looks good after a squirt of bath cleaner and a damp cloth.

The "L" shaped strips are really naff and a waste of money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back