Sealing bottom tile to bath with gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The mouldy sealant between my bath and adjacent tiles was starting to peel in places so I replaced it with fresh silicon. Following instructions and advice on this forum I used my finger to smooth out the bead and masking tape to neaten the edges.

I don't think the tiles were originally put in very well - the gap height between the edge of the bath and the bottom edge of the first tiles varies from between 2mm and 9mm in places.

However, while the seal looks neat at the bath join, where it connects with the tile isn't looking so hot, especially in the larger gaps. The seal around the edge of the tile is a bit thin and you can see a line of the darker un-glazed surface in places (through the sealant I think). It doesn't look as neat as any examples I can find in any case!

Perhaps I used too much pressure smoothing over the bead which has resulted in the larger gaps "swallowing" the concave shape. The previous seal was made with a very large amount of silicon and shaped into a quadrant wedge shape.

I'm only a tenant (absent landlord who doesn't care much for the place) so moving tiles or adjusting bath height is out of the question.

While I am confident the silicon is filling the majority of the gap I am less so regarding the area around the bottom of the tile. From what I've read it would be a mistake to pump more silicon over the seal though.

1) Is it worth stripping the top part of the seal and relaying it over the lip of the tile (this sounds very fiddly)?

2) Or is a case or ripping what I've just put in out and starting afresh, albeit with a ton more silicon in places?

I hope this makes sense...I've looked elsewhere on the forum and can't quite find the same problem.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back