How best to seal gap between bath and tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My mum has had a new bathroom suite put in and my brother and me are doing the retiling for her.

My brother started this but he put a thin baton directly on the bath and started the first row of tiles from there, this has left a gap of about 14mm between the bath and tiles. The guy's that put the bath in had already sealed the edges with silcone sealant so I don't really want to change the height of the bath.

What is the best way of ensuring the bath is watertight as the shower is above the bath? I was wondering if this was okay, fill the bath with water, fill the gap with grout then use silicone sealant on the join between the grout and bath?

I was also wondering if it is best to use silicone sealant in the corner joint where the two walls meet or is grout better? My brother has read you can use grout but I thought the sealant might be better.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, My mum has had a new bathroom suite put in and my brother and me are doing the retiling for her.

My brother started this but he put a thin baton directly on the bath and started the first row of tiles from there, this has left a gap of about 14mm between the bath and tiles. The guy's that put the bath in had already sealed the edges with silcone sealant so I don't really want to change the height of the bath.

What is the best way of ensuring the bath is watertight as the shower is above the bath? I was wondering if this was okay, fill the bath with water, fill the gap with grout then use silicone sealant on the join between the grout and bath?

I was also wondering if it is best to use silicone sealant in the corner joint where the two walls meet or is grout better? My brother has read you can use grout but I thought the sealant might be better.

Thanks

You should not use grout in he corners and definitely NOT between bottom edge of tiles and edge of bath. Do not put your grout in and then silicon over, thats asking for trouble, best way to overcome your problem is to cut the siilcon out, adjust the legs of the bath to raise the height to the bottom of the tiles, fill bath with water, then seal with silicon, any other way will look silly now, sorry but that's the truth of the matter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back