Tiling around bath question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just had to remove our old sealant from around our bath as it was mouldy and needed replacing.

When I pulled away the sealant I found that there are large gaps where there is no grouting between the tiles and the bath. Some of it is still intact. It seems that whoever last added the sealant just used sealant to fill in the gaps where there is no grouting.

My question is can I do this too, or is that just setting me up for problems? Would it be better to replace the grouting?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Personally I would re-grout the area first , leaving a day or two for it to dry out before applying mastic. It does depend to some degree how large the gaps are, do remember to fill the bath at least half full before applying silicone and then leave over night before draining. It will reduce the risk of the silicone pulling away when the bath is used.

My two pee is to totally replace the old sealant and all the grouting.
Thoroughly clean the gap of all residue and dry off with tissue paper.

Then cut the silicone tube nozzle large and slowly overfill the gap all the way round the bath rim - use double nozzles to reach behind the taps. Or buy extra long nozzles.

Smooth the silicone with a soapy wet finger or use a custom silicone sealer.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I've gone personally is to just silicone it in as if it was an internal corner.

Sponsored Links
Where the bath tub rim meets the tiled wall is an inside corner, & should be silicone sealed just like the vertical inside corners where two walls meet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back