grouting between tiles and shower tray?

fig

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to re-grout my shower in a few places where the grout has cracked. Im just scraping away the old grout in a few places and applying new grout in the gaps. Does this sound ok?

My main question though is whether to grout in the gap between the tray and the tiles on the wall. The wall tiles are slightly above the tray. Its only a small gap and was previously covered by silicone sealant. Do I use grout and then sealant or just sealant? I think the tray is quite flexible as the sealant is often coming away and the grouts a bit damaged in that area.

Someone in the forum wrote about putting sealant over grout. Should I put silicone sealant over all my grout lines? I think my shower wasn't constructed that well (tiles straight onto a plastered wall, I think) and I don't have the money or ability to take it out and start again so I just want to protect it as much as possible.

I've also read different accounts of drying times. Is five hours enough for grout to dry ready for a shower?

Sorry if I'm repeating questions. I have checked the forum but am still unsure.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I would just silicone the gap not grout and silicone as the grout may crack with the movement.

If you run masking tape along the tray a few millimetres from the tiles and along the bottom of the tiles and then silicone, wipe the excess off with your finger then peel off the masking tape you will get a far neater finish to your silicone.

Buy proper sealant though - expect to pay at least £4-6 per tube for silicone rubber not cheap bath sealant sold in some places.

Make sure you remove enough old grout to allow your new grout to key. Better still buy a grout rake and rake out most of the grout in the shower and re-grout it all with fresh grout. If you use an anti-fungicidal grout it will stay White longer.

I would leave your grout to dry over night prior to using the shower.

Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back